New Post Advanced Search

Help with Talk Talk please.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
7 replies 702 views
Mittens124Mittens124 Forumite
184 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi

This is for my Mum, her phone line was up and working last night when she went to bed but when she got up this morning nothing was working, no dial tone and her internet is not working.

She phoned Talk Talk (from her mobile) to try and find out what was going on and they said that they hadn't done anything ie. cut her off so there must be a fault on the line. They said they would check in the next 48 hours and if it turns out to be a fault they would charge her £140 to fix it. I don't think this is right as my mum hasn't done anything to damage the line and she is on a pension so cannot afford £140.

My mum needs the phone due to having to be in contact with people due to ill health and she cannot afford to keep topping up her mobile. I don't know what to do or suggest to my mum for her to do. She can't cancel her contract with Talk Talk as she it still inside the 18 months.

Have any you had the same problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• Hi Mittens

It sounds like they would charge £140 if there was a fault on your mum's end of the line (ie in the house). The £140 is probably the charge to send an engineer round to try and sort the problem. Do any of her neighbours have a similar problem? If so, then it is probably an external fault and shouldn't be
    chargeable.

As it went out suddenly, it might be worth just checking that all the phone plugs are still in their sockets etc. before an engineer turns up.

Good luck

Mike
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • Thank your lucky stars she ain't with Bt, because their charge would be £216.20, have she tried her phone in the test socket in the master socket. Best to try that first, If her phone works there it's a fault her side, If it dont work there it's a line fault and she should not be charged unless the openreach engineer says that her mastersocket is damp, Yes this damp socket excuse is becoming common with openreach of late. also before the engineer does the repair ask him if she has to pay or not. if he says no, get him to sign a note saying so to be on the safe side.
  • DrunkstarDrunkstar Forumite
    889 posts
    gilfachboy wrote: »
    Thank your lucky stars she ain't with Bt, because their charge would be £216.20.

Ummm, no its not.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • Drunkstar wrote: »
    Ummm, no its not.

well if you work for BT you are not up to date with their extortionate repair costs,
    here is wot they charge for call out and a 5 min repair of master socket caused by dampness in the socket so they said.
    £184 plus vat @ 17.5 = £216.20
  • gilfachboy wrote: »
    well if you work for BT you are not up to date with their extortionate repair costs,
    here is wot they charge for call out and a 5 min repair of master socket caused by dampness in the socket so they said.
    £184 plus vat @ 17.5 = £216.20

See the prices for yourself http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Misc_boo/1393_d0e1.htm
  • DrunkstarDrunkstar Forumite
    889 posts
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we were discussing the basic call out.

My apologies there, I screwed up.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • muffinheadmuffinhead Forumite
    634 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I've found the guys on http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ to be very helpful and pretty quick in resolving problems. Perhaps you could register on your mums behalf and they should be able to sort out the problem for her.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support