Is it worth keeping landline live if possibly renting?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
7 replies 1.1K views
want2bmortgage3want2bmortgage3 Forumite
2K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
I dont use my land line as i have more minutes and texts than i need on my mobile. However I may decide to rent out my property.

So is it a good idea to keep the landline live and keep paying line rental ? Or is it fine to just leave the phone point there physically so that a new occupant can call BT if they want to get it reactivated?

Replies

• So long as it does not get disconnected because if it does it will cost someone £125 to have it activated again.
  • how would i know if it will get disconnected or not ? if i am not paying and call them to cancel the rental will it be auto disconnected?
  • I dont know when it will be disconected, I have a 2nd line here and its still active and I can dial in and out but we don't pay for it as it was canceled years ago.

Just depends if they need the line/number for someone else I guess.

But if you are going to let it out dont worry about it as new tenants could pay or you could go 50/50 with the cost.
  • oh i see, so it is pot luck.. i suppose the only reason a tenant would want a landline is if they dont like using a mobile (unlikely) or they want a broadband / tv service which uses the landline? i do have a ntl cable line (now virgin) which could be used. so i doubt there's any use for a landline, can anyone confirm, especially any landlords here?
  • Ultimately it is upto you, but whilst the line is active in your name you are responsible for any charges made on the line, the tenants won't be liable
    If saved £2710 and only spent the interest (Based on a return of 5%), you would have enough money to pay your TV Licence every year. Saving you £7452.50 over a period of 55 years, based on you buying a license from the age of 20 until your 75 at a cost of £135.50.
  • Stuart_WStuart_W Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If you just stop the line, line rental will end, and provided no wiring is harmed it will easily be restarted at any point in the future when tennants move in, if they require the landline service. BT restart for free, any others that charge have a minimal restart fee (The Phone Co-Op is £5 +VAT for example).
  • Not sure if it's that simple. What if it's a busy exchange and the number is re-assigned?
    “I look like Spiderman at a funeral”~ Karl Pilkington
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals