Car Insurance for 20 year old male

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
11 replies 24.3K views
samsyermansamsyerman Forumite
119 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
My son at University, has now finally decided that he wants to drive. I think his sister turning 17 in a few weeks time and counting the days till she can learn has dented his male ego.

I have been told by my insurers, AXA, that they will not put any male drivers on my policy who are under 21. He still has only a provisional licence.

I rang Hughes today to get a quote for his own insurance, for a Renault Clio, and they quoted me £2040 for third party. It was a good job I was sitting down, otherwise the shock would have knocked me down.

Has anyone any suggestions other than keep using the train.

Many thanks

samsyerman

Replies

• pobpob Forumite
    49 Posts
    that sounds about right to be honest - try elephant and admiral.co.uk, they've always been cheapest for me. If he's driving a different car to you,make sure you add yourself as a named driver to his policy as that usually helps.
    I used to promote my band here...
  • burbs_2burbs_2 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    always start at elephant, no luck there then try Tesco
  • PACHPACH Forumite
    93 Posts
    I have just insured my daughther who is 23 and bought herself a new Ford KA with what was left from her student loan. Try
    http://www.confused.com/. This site has links to many companies. At the end I insured the car for just over £500 with Fordinsure . As you were advised before make sure you include also an expirenced driver in the family.
    Good luck.
  • 0302224203022242 Forumite
    349 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    you may not always find the cheapest quotes on confused, they dont search tesco, nationwide, liverpool victoria or egg
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • zodiaczodiac Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Try insuresupermarket.com they saved me over £1000
    I think Martin has a post about car insurance somewhere (I can't remember-sorry)
    I remember when this was just a little website! :money:
  • My dad just put me on his insurance for only about £130 more (I'm 21) with Norwich Union. There's a big excess and its a 5 year old car but not bad.
  • declanmccdeclanmcc Forumite
    412 Posts
    burbs wrote:
    always start at elephant, no luck there then try Tesco

Aren't Tesco ignoring the NI car insurer?
  • mking007mking007 Forumite
    274 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    https://www.ford.co.uk (click on insurance)
    do quote online

dad - main driver
    mum - second driver
    me third driverage 22
    sister fourth driver age 18

£439 fully comp - reanult clio
    ford insure - dont have to drive a ford, been using them now for a couple of years nps at all.
  • chunterchunter Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    For the poor bedraggled N. Ireland driver, who has long being ripped off by the 4 big insurers in N. Ireland, try the following:

Quinn Direct (Derrylin) 0800 587 8000
    Caulfields (Cookstown) 028 8676 6999

and don't be shy about haggling, I think the the sellers are on huge commissions, judging by some of the stories I've heard lately, about dramatic drops when given competitors quotes.
  • thetopethetope Forumite
    896 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    i have heard some awful stories about Quinn Direct being terrible if you have to make a claim. i would avoid. personally speaking the only firm that insures me for a sensible price is elephant/admiral/diamond (they are all the same company). they are consistently about £1000 cheaper than my next highest quote. you could also try open and direct - they are a local firm and gave me an excellent quote as a new rider on my motorbike. and thirdly i am also fond of allianz direct, i have a house insurance policy with them and their customer service has been excellent in the past.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News