Switching to Spark Energy

Options
I read that Time To Switch 'Traffic Light' Status is GREEN . I am thinking to switch to Spark Energy for my gas. My question is that will Spark Energy increase their price in Mar-Apr 2008?

So is Martin's adivce of:

"Scottish & Southern Electric, is expected to raise prices in early April; so avoid switching to it and its sub-brands (Atlantic, SWALEC and ScottishHydro)"

applies to Spark Energy as well???
Mark Hughes' blue and white army

Comments

• Bang
    Bang Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    It's the chance you take eh! If only we had a crystal ball! This isn't a traditional residential focused energy provider like the rest so it is all new to us.

I switched to them last night online and was a breeze and got an email later (below). They say I'll save £200 a year so worth trying anyway and no tie-in that I can see.

Please do not reply to this email, this is for your information only.

Dear Mr ,

Welcome to Spark Energy.

We're delighted that you've chosen us to supply energy to your home. Before we go ahead and switch you over, we just wanted provide a summary of the details of your new energy contract and the personal information that you have provided. If any of this information is incorrect, please contact our Customer Service Team on 0845 869 4002 and press 1.

Summary Details

Username:
    Name:
    Address:

Postcode:

Telephone Number:

Bank Name:

Bank Sort Code:
    Bank Account Name:

Bank Account Number: (collected but not shown in this email)
    MPAN: S////17/1664/9382/900
    MPRN: 1129966500

Tariff Name: Direct Discount
    Payment Type: Monthly Direct Debit
    Comparison engine: dual
    New Cost per Annum: 715.07 pounds

What happens from here?

Step 1
    You'll receive a Welcome Call from our Customer Services Team within the next 48 hours and a Welcome email and letter within the next 7 days.

Step 2
    Your existing supplier is provided with 28 days notice in accordance with industry guidelines. During this period the existing supplier and Spark Energy will agree on an actual transfer date which is likely to be between 28 and 45 days from now.

Step 3
    We will write to you and send an email confirming your date of supply and it is likely that we will ask you to take a meter reading on the day of the transfer.

If you are currently paying by direct debit we would recommend that you do not cancel any existing direct debits until such time as you know the date of the transfer.

Do I need to advise my existing supplier(s)?

Spark Energy will advise your existing supplier that you have decided to change energy suppliers so you do not need to contact them unless you wish to do so.

Can I change my mind?

If you change your mind and wish to cancel your contract please call us on 0845 869 4002 or email us at
    [EMAIL="cancellations@sparkenergy.co.uk"]cancellations@sparkenergy.co.uk[/EMAIL] within seven days of today's date.

Questions?

If you have any further questions, either now or in the future, please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Services Team.

Best regards

Spark Energy
    Ettrick Riverside
    Dunsdale Road
    Selkirk
    TD7 5EB

Tel: 0845 869 4002

• dellxps
    dellxps Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    hi mate,
    i'd edit your mpan and mprn just in case. A dodgy sales person could use that to put a sale through. They wouldn't have your name etc but they could find your address and cause you some inconvenience.
  • Bang
    Options
    dellxps wrote: »
    hi mate,
    i'd edit your mpan and mprn just in case. A dodgy sales person could use that to put a sale through. They wouldn't have your name etc but they could find your address and cause you some inconvenience.

Oops, sorry - good point! I suppose there are folk out there that would think of that!:eek:
  • alan99_2
    alan99_2 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

So you will pay £715 pa. How much does that compare per kwh to your previous supplier. What about standing charges, and hidden standing charges(more for first amount of units per quarter) ;) . Could you get a better on line rate.

How does it stack up like for like?

Alan
  • Bang
    Options
    You can compare all that on their website Alan and I also spoke to someone in customer services by email. I got a better rate signing up online direct than if I did it through a switching website.

It's certainly a better deal for me anyway for currently being with EDF on their V3 online tarriff
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there.i have just discovered this company through money expert site and they look quite good.How are you getting on with the transfer,is it through yet? If so how did you find the process,was it smooth?

Has anyone any comments to make about this company,good ot bad? I am with atlantic,brill on customer service but their prices are now high,especially for electricity of which i am a heavy user.
  • ilikepoints
    ilikepoints Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any way to get cashback when switching to Spark?

thanks
  • S_t_e_v_e
    S_t_e_v_e Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I contacted Spark. Apparently they are going to review their prices in the next two weeks to see if they need to increase them in line with other companies.
    I think I'll wait a few weeks and see what they do before changing to them. Hopefully they will keep prices the same or at least cheaper than the others.
    Steve
  • nrl
    nrl Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I looked at the various comparison websites, yesterday, decided that Spark Energy looked the most suitable for my needs and then joined up directly on Spark's own website (none of the comparison websites have any links to Spark (details, yes, but no follow through links).

Having received the confirmation email from Spark a few minutes later I noticed that I was signed up to their standard tariff, although their pdf tariff document I downloaded had various tariffs.

Further research informed me that Spark removed ALL their discount tariffs on 2 April 2008. The standard tariff does not offer me the deal I was looking for and believe it or not, the cheapest option for me now is British Gas (Click 5) who are £50 cheaper than Spark (standard) and BG have already raised their prices.

I immediately (literally within about 10 minutes of the confirmation email) emailed the Spark Energy cancellation department stating that I was cancelling.

I post this in order to assit those who may be interested in Spark Energy - their standard tariff is not the cheapest and they no longer offer the discount tariffs that many comparison websites are still showing (even though you can't click through from the comparison site).

I will telephone Spark Energy and see if I can cajole them into gaining a customer to their pulled discount tariff, but I'm not holding my breath.

Neil
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is odd because on their website,their tariffs you can download in pdf form are still showing various discounted ones.So where did the research come from that said they are no longer doing discounted tariffs?They should have removed them if they no longer apply.

Don't want to deal with a company that confuses you like this!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure