Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Bloody Speed Cameras - ridiculous, ridiculous, ridiculous

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Bloody Speed Cameras - ridiculous, ridiculous, ridiculous

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Discussion Time
214 replies 5.8K views
MSE_ArchnaMSE_Archna Former MSE
1.9K posts
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Discussion Time
Click reply to discuss Martin's blog entry.

Replies

• burbs_2burbs_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Not much to discuss really. The law has been broken and the consequences have to be accepted and life goes on. We discussed this a while back, i hate speed cameras and they are just another tax rather than accident prevention.

Some spped limits are ridiculous but they still have to be adhered to. I agree with Martin, there should be variable limits but until there are we are going to have to stick to the set ones.

I do wonder how many people change their views from the last time we discussed this. I seem to remember myself and a taxi driver were 2 of the people who argued against speed cameras, while a whole load of people said they were good etc. I wonder if they change their minds now Martin has put his point across
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Martin got to agree with burbs, you have no reason to blame anybody but yourself ... you broke the law you got caught you have to pay the consequences (and I have paid my own fair share of fines). Don't get annoyed with the governments latest tax collectors .... sorry, I mean the police, they are just following the rules. Everybody bends the rules but you were 33% over the limit!

We may not agree with all the laws but unfortunately it is the best system we have and designed for the overall benefit of the wider community. Like many people I am expected to tottle along roads at 30mph with countryside on both sides and not another car in sight (apart possibly from the police officer with a radar hiding in behind a bill board) ... I HATE IT!

Maybe they could install electronic variable speed limit signs ... are we all willing to pay another £50 per year on our road tax to finance them?

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • TwopintsTwopints Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    People who speed are more likely to be involved in a road accident than people who don't. At 25% over average speed you are 6 times more likely to have an accident than driving at average speed [Source: Transport Research Laboratory].If you want to save money (and a few lives) don't speed.

Laws apply to everybody. It is not for the individual to pick and choose which laws to break or when it is OK to break them. If you don't like the law try to get it changed, don't just break it and complain when caught.

If Moneysavers are supposed to read the T&C's, shouldn't drivers know and follow the rules of the road ?
    Not even wrong
  • Burbs wrote:
    I wonder if they change their minds now Martin has put his point across

interesting point burbs,I wonder:rolleyes:

as for myself ,I always said don't break the speed limit and you won't get fined:D and still do
  • acac Forumite
    7K posts
    tut tut M !!!!!

welcome to the dark side :D;)
    Heaven wont let me in & Hell's too scared i'd take over :kiss:
    Alcoholics do it till they pass out :o:D :;)
    THE MORE I NO THE LESS I UNDERSTAND :o

• WigWig Forumite
    14.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did Martin say "I dont speed" and then say that he was speeding.

I agree with the sentiments of his whinge though, speed cameras are just money making machines, speed limits are often overly cautious and not suitable for the road in question, and more and more places are reducing the limits even further (a road near me was 60 for the last 20+ years now it is a 40).

I, like Martin and Ivan am a perfectly good driver (dare I say above average), but IMO the speed limits aren't there for me. I can safely drive faster on loads of roads, the speed limits are there because a lot of people are "below average" in their driving skills, and unfortunately we have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

I suggest if you don't want to get caught you get yourself a GPS capable fixed camera locator, I used to use a geodesy but I decided - although it worked fine - they were rip-off merchants IMO - There is now one on the market which I think costs 99 pounds, plus 50 the 1st year and 50 - 60 pounds the 2nd year and after that updates are foc. I dunno the name but will easily find out if someone wants me to. You can also get some which do both fixed via GPS and also have a radar detector function for the mobile units.

There are other methods...such as dealing with the NIP in the right way and you never go to court or have to pay any money - no, I won't tell you how it's done! but it is getting a bit more difficult to do these days. Better not to get caught in the first place!
    1.2K posts
    Wig wrote:
    I, like Martin and Ivan am a perfectly good driver (dare I say above average), but IMO the speed limits aren't there for me. I can safely drive faster on loads of roads, the speed limits are there because a lot of people are "below average" in their driving skills, and unfortunately we have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

How do you know you are an above average driver wig?

As for the days of having more than 1 person insured to drive and then just happening to forgot who was driving at the time of the speeding offence occuring, well thats just wrong!
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, It's really just common sense that tells me I'm above average, because of all the instances where this is proven to me time and time again, I don't want to go into that, but, it is obvious that half the population have to be "at or above average" and half have to be "at or below average". The point was that speed limits have to made to suit the "below average" drivers.

The other point, I told you I won't be saying what it is, and I am reluctant to say any more on that issue. You can cast doubts if you wish, but the proof is in the pudding, and sorry there isn't enough pudding to go around.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wig wrote:
    There are other methods...such as dealing with the NIP in the right way and you never go to court or have to pay any money - no, I won't tell you how it's done! but it is getting a bit more difficult to do these days. Better not to get caught in the first place!
    Does it involve a pair of sheep shearers and certain parts of their anatomy ? :eek:

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
    1.2K posts
    Wig there are lots of ways of getting around paying speeding fines, some legal, some not. I dont know the way you believe you know exclusivley but i know most ways and they are making these laws tighter so as it is harder to do, that was all i was saying. They are not going to catch people and then make it simple enough to get off with the fine are they?