Overdraft Early Resettlement with Smile Bank

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
ncp2008ncp2008 Forumite
26 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
Firstly apologies if I have posted this in the wrong thread. And many thanks in advance for anybody who can help/advise.
At university I foolishly took out the maximum overdraft facility with Smile Bank to the tune of £1800 - which is a lot of money. Now 2 years later and with a mortgage too, the account has become a normal current account with charges each month. I know that I will never be able to pay the whole of the monies off before the overdraft is removed by Smile in july this year. This morning I rang Smile and explained this situation, I was at uni not working etc etc - incidentally, I have never used the account other than when at university, and I have never been illegally overdrawn as well. I asked if there was a possibility that I could have an early resettlement fee for ex, £1000 perhaps which if I had to eat pasta for a month I would try somehow to pay it. They told me quite bluntly "no why would WE do that? its up to you to pay it off?" she then said try and pay £150 off each month, well with a £1000 mortgage to pay I don't think so. Does anybody know a way around this or someone to write to at Smile. Just a hope really and sorry for the long rant!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides