Do I need a BT phone line installed for Broadband?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
7 replies 10K views
PurchaserukPurchaseruk Forumite
71 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hello,
Will be moving into a new flat within 2 weeks that doesn't presently have a phone line installed. Although I will be in a cable/virgin media area - I don't want to use them.

Does this mean I am left with paying £125 to have a BT phone line installed at the flat? I have no idea if there are other companies around that install / offer phone lines & broadband packages?

I also want a decent broadband deal, as I am a heavy user, although I don't want to pay a fortune for this (!) which the BT unlimited option seems rather steep @ £19p/m plus the £10.50 line rental on top.

Do I have to pay the basic BT line rental for a set amount of time before being able to swap to one of these broadband deals that states it includes the line rental (provided it's a bt line)?

Can I get a new BT line installed, pay the £10.50 line rental ongoing & sign up with a different company's broadband deal - like O2 for instance - all around the same time? (obviously get the broadband after I've got a phone line in :wink: )

Trying to find this info on BT's web site is a bit of a nightmare!

Any help on the above question would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides