Any techies out there? please help

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
2 replies 487 views
yaubelleyaubelle Forumite
45 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hello,

I my broadband provider is talktalk. Everytime I use yahoo messenger or hotmail messenger I am constantly getting cut off, sometimes after 2 minutes, 5 minutes etc. It is absolutely driving me crazy as I am unable to have a conversation for any length of time.

I have spoken to talk talk so many times and each time they do all sorts of "tests". (I am hopeless with all this technical stuff but will try and explain as best I can). They get me to click on this and click on that as they test the speed and strength of the broadband. Ironically, after speaking to their technition last night and doing what he told me to do, it seems to take longer than before for web pages to come up

I was told yesterday that there was nothing wrong with the strength of the broadband I was receiving and the problem could very well be with my laptop. However I have only had my laptop a few months and have AVG anti-virus on it (and am using windows vista) and was told that maybe I have some sort of windows security on the laptop and need to get rid of it as it could be clashing with the AVG anti-virus. I really have no understanding of what they are talking about.

Is there anyone out there who thinks they may have an idea about the problem could be? Is the problem in fact to do with the quality of broadband I am getting? Sorry for waffling but I am really rubbish with all this technical stuff.

Many thanks in advance

Replies

• Hi yaubelle

There are loads of potential things that you could tweak etc, but here are a couple of things that I have come across in the past that might help given your experience...

1. Do you have filters on every extension in the house? i.e. if you have sky you would need a filter on that extension etc.

2. One that would have been looked at - in your mailbox options is the "hang up when finished sending, receiving. updating" option checked?

These are just a couple of "easy" ones.

All the best

Mike
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • Hi Mike,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I spoke to talk talk again and I think the fault lay with them. Everything is now working fine and I think the problem was actually to do with the strength of broadband I was receiving.

Yaubelle
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals