Virgin Media Moving House Problem

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
13 replies 7.3K views
matt8188matt8188 Forumite
48 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hello any help with my problem would be much appreciated. I signed up to virgin in October at my flat (£20 broadbad, phone with free tv deal). Despite them not turning up on the correct day and some rude and incompetent customer service staff, it got all got eventually sorted. At the beginning of January we decided to rent a new apartment (fourth floor of new build aprtment block). I checked on the Virgin postcode finder and they do not have our apartment as an available area. They said as we signed a contract for our previous address we still need to honour this 12 month contract, and the disconnection fee will be £180.00 (9 months x £20). They said an alternative to this is to transfer to their non-cabled service which is £14.50 a month for broadband and phone. For this I need a BT line, but as it is a new build BT haven't set up a BT line, aaargh! We moved in on Monday (and still can't get any hot water!!) we have 3 telephone points in our apartment but no live line. Rang BT who said they have no records for our address and it will be £125 to connect a line. Please can anyone help with the following questions.

1/ If I pay the £125 for BT to connect the line in order to get the virgin media serviceat £14.50 a month, will I have to pay a BT line rental cost as well (does anyone know what this will be).

2/ The VM customer services man said the disconnection fee would be £180.00, can I ask them to reduce this package to a lower service so I don't have to pay so much?

3/ Is there any other alternatives that anyone is aware of other than the two above?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

Replies

• King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    matt8188 wrote: »
    1/ If I pay the £125 for BT to connect the line in order to get the virgin media serviceat £14.50 a month, will I have to pay a BT line rental cost as well (does anyone know what this will be).
    Yes you will need to pay line rental to BT at £11 per month. This is academic, however, as if you want a telephone line in your new flat you have to pay the BT install and line rental whether you have Virgin broadband or not.
    2/ The VM customer services man said the disconnection fee would be £180.00, can I ask them to reduce this package to a lower service so I don't have to pay so much?
    You are already on the lowest service for each or your three services.
    3/ Is there any other alternatives that anyone is aware of other than the two above?
    I am afraid not.
  • ramk_ramk_ Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Matt. I have been in a very similar situation with Virgin in the past.
    When they offered you this non-cable service, did they mention that if you sign up to that for 12 months, after the 3rd month they will reimburse you for your disconnection fee (in your case the £180)? This is what I was told when I called them to move house. Fair enough you will still have to pay for BT and the disconnection at the moment but you should get your £180 back in 3 months. If they didn't say this to you then I would say it's definitely worth getting back to them on it!
    I'm afraid I didn't actually go down this route in the end, I wanted clear of Virgin, so I don't know how it all works out, but I hope this will help you. Good luck!
  • I think BT are running a half price line install at the moment, so might be worth asking them for that.
  • Well when I moved across the road before Chirstmas they cancelled my contract (had 9 months left to run) against my wishes and started a new 12 month contract at a higher rate as my previous offer was no longer available. There was no mention of a disconnection fee for the old contract and after a bit of arguing I got the deal I was on in the old house.

Have you looked on their website to see their policy on home moving?
  • DiminutiveDiminutive Forumite
    348 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Surely they can't penalise you just because they don't provide service to your new area. That's ridiculous.
    ~Diminutive
  • King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Diminutive wrote: »
    Surely they can't penalise you just because they don't provide service to your new area. That's ridiculous.
    But they are offering an ASDL service at the new address with no penalty.
  • molitmolit Forumite
    373 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    know a lot of people who have had trouble with virgin after they move, lost boxes is the other favourite - trying to charge people £200. I threatened them with the regualtor, and havent heard anything since
    No longer an accidental landlord, still a wannabe millionaire:beer:

initiative q sign up link

https://initiativeq.com/invite/HQHpIjaoQ
  • im with VM and i must say if you quibble for long enough its amazing what you can get from them. dont give up and be determined! good luck
  • Just wondered what the outcome of this was incase we ever have to move into a non service area.
  • Thanks for everyone's help. Decided to go with Virgin Media "Beyond Cable" service, they are going to reimburse my disconnection fee for my previous contract, £180.

I was suppose to be getting my new BT line on Saturday but didn't turn up, have made complaint about them http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=736989.
    With all the problems I've had I'm going to try and get them to waive my £124.99 installation fee!

I weighed things up and I will be paying

£124.99 installation fee
    £126.00 BT Line rental (£10.50 x 12 months)
    £179.88 Virgin Beyond Cable (£14.99 x 12 months)

Total £430.87 (£35.91 a month)

I decided it would be better paying £35.91 a month for 8mb broadband and free evening & weekend calls rather than £180 for nothing. I also will have a BT line so after my 12 months with Virgin I can change to a cheaper Broadband supplier.

Certainly not ideal, I wish Virgin had offered cable in our area, would have been so much cheaper and easier but there we go.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals