Virgin media - Moving house

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
matt8188matt8188 Forumite
48 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hello any help with my problem would be much appreciated. I signed up to virgin in October at my flat (£20 broadbad, phone with free tv deal). Despite them not turning up on the correct day and some rude and incompetent customer service staff, it got all got eventually sorted. At the beginning of January we decided to rent a new apartment (fourth floor of new build aprtment block). I checked on the Virgin postcode finder and they do not have our apartment as an available area. They said as we signed a contract for our previous address we still need to honour this 12 month contract, and the disconnection fee will be £180.00 (9 months x £20). They said an alternative to this is to transfer to their non-cabled service which is £14.50 a month for broadband and phone. For this I need a BT line, but as it is a new build BT haven't set up a BT line, aaargh! We moved in on Monday (and still can't get any hot water!!) we have 3 telephone points in our apartment but no live line. Rang BT who said they have no records for our address and it will be £125 to connect a line. Please can anyone help with the following questions.

1/ If I pay the £125 for BT to connect the line in order to get the virgin media serviceat £14.50 a month, will I have to pay a BT line rental cost as well (does anyone know what this will be).

2/ The VM customer services man said the disconnection fee would be £180.00, can I ask them to reduce this package to a lower service so I don't have to pay so much?

3/ Is there any other alternatives that anyone is aware of other than the two above?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up