Small business vans

Hi everyone!
My husband is a fork lift truck instructor and has been using his own Scenic for his business. It's not the most professional way to go as it is wall to wall kids car seats and potties, etc..

He is looking at getting a small economical diesel van to hold all his training paraphernalia and I'll part ex/sell my old car (sob) and use his instead. The problem is that he might need to cart the kids about in the van, and need a van with more than two seats, we're not 100% clear on how this will affect what he can claim back.

Secondly, any suggestions on cheap to run, cheap to buy small vans would be very much appreciated as there seems to be hundreds to choose from :eek: Recommendations would be great! :beer:

Thanks in advance,
Lucy

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,937
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    have you tried searching this board for vans? There was a thread not long ago which might help you.

Might also be worth sending a pm to vansboy asking him nicely to have a look at this thread. He's not around so much these days but knows a lot about vans!

Final suggestion: if he's sometimes going to have to use the new van for the children, then get a box or crate or something like that to keep their clutter in! All the potties, wipes and other 'clutter' goes in there, and only in there. Ideally it gets taken back into the house when not wanted.

I don't know how it would affect the tax situation - is it just two children you've got? you said 'more than two' seats but I wasn't sure if three seats across the front for driver +2 would do, or if you would need driver +3. But think quite hard about whether you DO need to put the children in it - if you need the +3 option then you might find paying for the odd taxi was more cost-effective!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Plenty of crew vans about nowadays which have a 2nd row of seats, some are factory fit, some are done by a conversion company and some will be "DIY"

Don't think there's many small vans with crew seats apart from the vauxhall combo (factory option)

A SWB low roof transit will offer more room, and with the 2nd row of seats you'll still have 4ft or so of space in the back (which can be seperated with a bulkhead)
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    .....might also be worth sending a pm to vansboy asking him nicely to have a look at this thread. He's not around so much these days but knows a lot about vans!

I don't know how it would affect the tax situation - is it just two children you've got?

Thanks for the replies - I've pm'd vansboy, ta for the pointer! :T

We have 2 kids, age 1 and 2 1/2 so they both have the huge carseats, etc.

I'm about to start looking at the net again for some options. There's so many! :o

Narrowing it down will be easier with that advice too scbk so thanks too :think:

All recommendations welcome!

Best wishes
    Luce
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,937
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I see no-one's answered about whether it would affect what you could claim - do you have an accountant? That's a question for them. If not, look round the HMRC site and maybe call them. It may affect your choices!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    PM replied to Lucy!

Happy to help if I can!!

& Sues right, I've not been in attendence enogh - www.theupsidedownhouse.9f.com has taken away my waking hours!!!

& my £$£$$£!!

VB
  • It's easy enough to fit another row of seats into a van, you can even get ones which tip up to give more space. If you're still looking Lucy then PM me and I'll get my Dad to come up with a few ideas as that is one thing his company does.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure