Problem with cold boot

When I start the computer from cold it takes several attempts to get it stable and working.

I have tried both win 2k and windows 98 with 2 different hard drives but its not made any difference.

After a while once its really warmed up it will go for hours with no problem.
I have an AVG virus checker and Zone alarm installed, and no viruse were reported.

Can anyone give me any ideas please, would be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MoneyMonkey
    MoneyMonkey Posts: 140
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you give more details as to how it is unstable? Blue screen of death, Disk Error or something else?

MM.
    Organisation and planning are for those who can't handle stress and caffine :rolleyes:
    A customer with a biscuit in his mouth, is a customer who can't complain :D
  • drlight_2
    drlight_2 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Have you tried changing the ide cable if you have another one, if it's not software or hd, next likely thing is the motherboard, remove all the parts you don't need to get it running, modem, cdplayer, if it makes a differance try putting your pci cards in differant slots adding them one at a time and seeing how it goes.
  • ant_2-2
    ant_2-2 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies,Computer keeps freezing up halfway through loading, not always in the same place, totally random.

I usually play a card game if it will load until it warms up, sometimes in safe mode but the mouse freezes up on that several times.

The screen clicks and goes black sometimes rebooting , not always,sometimes a long beep and calnt find the memory. "1 stick of branded" Have reseated it, didn't make any difference

Have took IDE cable out and back again. Done a memory check. now the reset button is starting to stick, I've done it that often.

Got no PCI cards, but it may be possibly the motherboard or the power supply ?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks
  • rogerramjet
    rogerramjet Posts: 1,388
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hehe...looks like you need a computer heater rather than a cooler :)

could be a multitude of things, but more likely to be a problem with a component on the motherboard or powersupply which is not making a contact until it expands due to heat.

I'd be more inclined to say it's motherboard, however, unless you purchase a new one or have yours checked (unless it was a few £100.00 not worth bothering as a new one would be cheaper) there is no real way of knowing.
    Welcome, rogerramjet.
    You last visited: 01-01-1970 at 01:00 AM
  • ant_2-2
    ant_2-2 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Thank you'
    I thought it might be one of those two, better to replace both if it is , just in case.
    I just hope its not something else I cant find when Iv'e done it or I would be better off with a new computer.

Just wish I could be certain before I spend it.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684
    Forumite
    Cold boot problems are often power supply related. Doing a cold boot puts a large strain on the power supply and old / cheap power supplies can cause problems as they cannot handle the strain.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • T4i
    T4i Posts: 1,845
    Forumite
    Make a bootable CD with memtest86 and run it. If it passes your RAM is ok.

That would leave me to believe its your Motherboard or PSU.

What is the spec of the machine? What PSU does it have inside?
  • catford
    catford Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    blinky wrote:
    Cold boot problems are often power supply related. Doing a cold boot puts a large strain on the power supply and old / cheap power supplies can cause problems as they cannot handle the strain.
    Can you explain that a bit more -cos i often have trouble cold booting with very similar symptoms. do you mean the power supply from the mains to the base unit or the supply from the psu??
  • Lawbag_2
    Lawbag_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    I agree, it sounds like a cable issue, somewhere inside your machine a cable has either worked loose, or become intemitant.

It would be worth opening your machine and checking all internal connections. Refer to the motherboard manufacturer's book for guidance on where cables should actually be. It might be a case of the wrong cable plugged in on the motherboard.
    "See you on the Other Side"
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684
    Forumite
    catford wrote:
    Can you explain that a bit more -cos i often have trouble cold booting with very similar symptoms. do you mean the power supply from the mains to the base unit or the supply from the psu??

The Power supply unit in the Computer. They are easy to replace.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family