Giving blood

I would really like to give blood - but am scared! Pathetic I know...

Does it hurt? How often do you have to go? How long does it take? Will I look like a prune afterwards :rotfl: and how do I find out where to go to give blood?

Any advice and encouragement most welcome...

Thanks, Mo x

Comments

• fruityslh
    fruityslh Posts: 123 Forumite
    I have been giving blood for a few years now (12 donations), most areas have blood donations and they usually advertise in local papers or you can ring the blood donor helpline

Does it hurt - it can if you are not a fan of needles, but it doesn't bother me much, I feel raring to go after giving bllod, but some people can feel faint, don't worry the nurses look after you

It takes about 45 mins to 1 hour for the full process, they do take care of you, maybe longer for the first session as you need to fill in the forms and they go through your history

Most of all I feel really good after giving blood, doing my bit, my opinion is I never know when I might need it and as I have the rarest blood group in the UK they are always in short supply, so I give blood about every three - four months on average depending on holidays and illness

Go for it you will be glad you did

0845 7711 711
    https://www.blood.co.uk
    Pay all debts by Xmas 12 # 072 £1201.79/£15,105.68:eek:
    2012 Frugal Living Challenge
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 #1711
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Hello Mightymo

Do something amazing today, save a life, give blood.

I've been a blood donor for (ahem) many years and have made 40 donations. I'll tell you straight, no porky pies.

On arriving at the blood collection centre, you will be handed a ring binder with information to read. You will take a seat and wait to be called.

Then you will be called to a screened area by an attendant. She (or he) will ascertain whether you have read the information and are permitted to donate. She will do a quick blood test (a small pin !!!!!! on your finger), you can watch the blood drop (it really is only a drop) being tested in the coloured liquid in the test tube.........or not if you prefer to look away.

Then you take a seat to wait.

Then you will be called to a donating bed by an attendant. She will check your general health and then you'll get up on the bed. A senior/staff nurse/doctor will check your blood pressure and insert the needle into your arm (you will feel this, I won't lie to you) but it's only a very brief scratch and shouldn't hurt. Then you start the blood donation process by gently opening and closing your palm/fingers or making a fist and relaxing etc.

Then, before you know it..........the attendant tells you to stop. She removes the needle and you lie on the bed to rest a while. Then she tells you it's fine for you to go and have a drink and biscuit. Make sure you drink at least one cup........it's the drinking fluids that helps your body to replace the blood you've donated.

Don't arrange to do anything strenuous (playing sports, moving furniture etc)immediately after donating blood, it might make you feel dizzy.

Honestly, that's the full story. From arriving at the centre to walking out again should take no more than 45 minutes to an hour.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • fruityslh
    fruityslh Posts: 123 Forumite
    Great to have got to 40 Nile well done, what do they give you for that or do you have to wait to 50??
    Pay all debts by Xmas 12 # 072 £1201.79/£15,105.68:eek:
    2012 Frugal Living Challenge
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 #1711
  • Aries
    Aries Posts: 477 Forumite
    I gave 47 donations but unfortunatly I had to give up due to a health problem.Dont be scared,I wouldnt have given so much if it was very painful as Im a bit of a wimp.
    Its a very worthwile cause
    Kath.
    Member of the £2 savers club.£320
    so far
    saving for Holiday :j

You are never too Old to learn new tricks.:rotfl:
  • Nile
    Ambassador
    From memory, you get a certificate at 10 donations

You get a certificate and a silver badge at 25 donations

You get a special award at 50 donations........which I think is a pen?

Someone with a better memory will correct me.

Just one donation will make the difference between life and death to someone. Please make the commitment to attend a blood donation session.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Great description Nile:D

I just wanted to add some encouragement mightymo! It's such a great thing to do and you'll be so pleased when you've done it (along with all the people you'll be helping!!!)

The needle stings a tiny bit but other than that I've found it fine each time (7). I feel quite proud about donating - hope you will too.

Let us know how you get on :j
  • mightymo_2
    mightymo_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Does the needle feel the same as when you give a blood sample at the doctors? If so, I can cope with that OK.
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703
    Forumite
    It's been a while since I've had a blood test but i'd say it was about the same.

I last gave blood a week ago - didn't bruise and you can't tell at all. My MIL had a blood test a day later and still has a HUGE bruise.
  • Nile
    Ambassador
    mightymo wrote:
    Does the needle feel the same as when you give a blood sample at the doctors? If so, I can cope with that OK.

If you've ever had a blood sample taken before, you can cope with donating blood. It's exactly the same thing...........just lay back and look at the dirty ceiling and listen to the awful taped music.:rolleyes:
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596
    Forumite
    Mightymo - if you are worried about it hurting, don't be, there's a bit of discomfort, that's all. If I remember correctly from the last time that I gave blood (a couple of years ago - I really should get back down there), you are offered a mild local anaesthetic so that you can't feel the needle being put in (its not really necessary, but might help for your first time). :)
    Midas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport