car insurance fully comp.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
19 replies 1.4K views
mango850mango850 Forumite
290 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
my car insurance expies soon. been driving 5 yrs now i think an my mum has covered me. its now time that i go on my own insurance. is there any cheap places to go also cash back would be great as well
Pigsback (£8.55) recieved £30 boots voucher QuidsInUk (£32.35) MoneyMaddness (£27.68)

Target for the year £100

Replies

• hollie.weimeranerhollie.weimeraner Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just got a very competitive quote for my mother through Prudential online. I did it through Quidco and have got £95 due back in March. Prudential were the cheapest quote anyway but with Quidco they were over £100 cheaper.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
  • cool cos my mum says it would cost over £1000 so quidco would be great shall look at that
    Pigsback (£8.55) recieved £30 boots voucher QuidsInUk (£32.35) MoneyMaddness (£27.68)

Target for the year £100
  • WOW £1800 on Prudential my god

Target for the year £100
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try looking at places like moneysavingsupermarket - try endsleigh insurance as they seem to do insurance for students too. Relatively cheap but then I do have 70% no claims bonus.

Dont know what else to suggest really.
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP would also have 60% or more NCB if they'd insured their own car in their own name from the start ... like they should have done, rather than fronting it through their mother.

Or maybe I'm being cynical and misreading the OP's "my car insurance expires soon". :rolleyes:
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I read it the same as you MMD.

Looks like fronting. Possibly inadvertent but still fraudulent.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the OP needs to get a less expensive car and have a third party fire & theft policy for a while.
  • losgiganteskidlosgiganteskid Forumite
    959 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    mango850 wrote: »
    my car insurance expies soon. been driving 5 yrs now i think an my mum has covered me. its now time that i go on my own insurance. is there any cheap places to go also cash back would be great as well

Well, if you've been doing it for the last 5 years Mungo - you might as well carry on !! - why change the habits of a lifetime ?

Seriously, you will probably be best staying with the same insurer, if you state that the policy has been in your Mothers name but you have really been the main driver, if there have been no claims at least it will/should give the insurer some feelgood factor as their risk will not alter if they issue a policy in your name but they will secure a premium more commensurate with the risk from hereonin - look at it that you have had 5 years cheap insurance ;)
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you've been doing it for the last 5 years Mungo - you might as well carry on !! - why change the habits of a lifetime ?

Because it's illegal and if there is an accident the insurance may well not pay out (if I understand it correctly).
    if you state that the policy has been in your Mothers name but you have really been the main driver

I wouldn't do this.
    This is admitted to fraud and the conversation could be recorded so you could get prosecuted.
    Better to tell a "white" lie and say the usage has changed.
    This is hiding you former deception (which may have been inadvertant) but getting it sorted out properly for the future.

You could try an older/smaller car and possible consider 3rd party, fire & theft or 3rd party only.
    I have a 17 year old car and it costs me £33.50 per year (after quidco) to insure 3rd party only.
    I know if I prang it I will get nothing but even if I had insurance they would write it off and send me about £100, so not much point.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you've been doing it for the last 5 years Mungo - you might as well carry on !!

Is that what you tell a burglar that hasnt been caught by the police yet?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals