Contents Insurance & Subsidence

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
ED_PETEED_PETE Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi - please bear with me as this is my first posting to this forum.

My buildings insurer is Groupama through the AA and I made a claim for subsidence in 2000 caused by a large council owned street tree. To cut a long story short, the tree was removed and the claim settled.
My contents insurer is Zurich through Bradford and Bingley. They are currently charging me £312 a year for pretty standard cover.
Feeling this somewhat uncompetative, I used confused.com to get a better quote but found that all will not insure for contents if there has been a previous subsidence claim. In my case this is ridiculous as the building is sound and in a suburban street not perched on the edge of a cliff.
Even more galling was that my third best quote was from the AA @£67 but unless I lied about the subsidence (not wise) I couldn't take up the quote. Having phoned them to explain they then quoted me £168, which although much better than the B&B, is still £100 more compared to the online quote and so that's the premium I'm having to pay on contents in a building with a history of subsidence - it's mad ! Anyone know of the best companies to get quotes for contents when the properties previously has subsidence ?

TIA
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals