IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt Collection Letter Sent Before NtK - missed appeal deadline.

Options
Hi everyone,

I received a letter from ZZPS, demanding £170 before I received a Notice to Keeper (NtK). I contacted the parking company (Saba/Parking Admin Centre) who confirmed in writing that there was a postal error which meant the NtK was not sent on time.

This means that the NtK was eventually sent after the 14 days required by POFA for keeper liability. I appealed to the parking company as outlined in the NEWBIES thread, stating that they cannot hold the keeper liable and that the keeper was not the driver.

I received the following email rejecting my appeal:

I had presumed that, since Saba are not relying on POFA, I needed to wait until I received a POPLA code - since Saba cannot hold the keeper liable. But I have just realised that I only had 7 days to respond to that email - this has now passed.

What should I do? And what happens if I do nothing? Will I still be able to appeal to POPLA if I don’t respond to this email? This fine relates to a TFL underground car park if that helps.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 135,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Reply to it now and ask where your POPLA Code is because you appealed on date.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JammyLine said:
    This fine relates to a TFL underground car park if that helps.
    That certainly makes a difference. Which Underground station?
  • JammyLine
    JammyLine Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    It was Cockfosters station. Wondering if the railway byelaws apply here - in which case I could just wait it out?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 July at 3:59PM
    Options
    JammyLine said:
    It was Cockfosters station. Wondering if the railway byelaws apply here - in which case I could just wait it out?

Confirmation that its subject to TfL Byelaws as from November 2014:-
    www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tube_station_car_parks_2

Which means that there is no way of transferring any driver's liability to the keeper.
    Hopefully they don't know who was driving?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 135,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JammyLine said:
    Yes TFL byelaws apply but do as I advised to get your POPLA Code now. 
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 July at 8:12PM
    Options
    Just reply back and state they have received your appeal
    Tell them you will win automatically at popla and to give you a popla code.
    Any issues complain to the bpa as you appealed on time etc.
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • JammyLine
    JammyLine Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Cheers everyone! I have replied to the email and asked for my POPLA code. I will update when I hear back from the parking company.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The "Kind regards" of the scam-o-letter is ironic.
  • LDast
    LDast Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    prowla said:
    The "Kind regards" of the scam-o-letter is ironic.
    The OP should reply back for the POPLA code, telling them to hurry up as they know this will be won at POPLA and then end with "Hugs and kisses XXX".

“Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience” - Mark Twain
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback