Disability Benefits to Next of Kin

Hi, my adult brother-in-law is currently in a care home and his benefits are paid directly to his mother, who then pays the care home a monthly allowance. His place in the home is paid for by the state as he has a continuous healthcare plan. Unfortunately my mother-in-law passed away this week. We are still in the process of getting her certificate and registering the death, but I was unsure what now happens to my BIL's money. Is there someone we need to contact to switch his payments over to us (as my husband is now his next of kin) or will my MIL's solicitor be able to sort this for us?


  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Have you access to the healthcare plan paperwork ?  Contact them direct ASAP. 

    Never pay on an estimated bill
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards