IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Courtesy Car PCN - Query

Hi, I’ve read the newbies post’s but hoping someone can help as I feel there’s a couple of unique points.

Car is in garage getting some work done so have a courtesy car this week. While waiting on the council to provide a temporary permit to cover the courtesy car…”someone” thought it would be safer to park in a nearby private resident car park. Bang….PCN from a private parking company.

This is in Scotland. P4 parking.

If it was my own car then it’s clear to deny liability as keeper and make no admission of who driver was. However my question is who is “registered keeper” of the courtesy car?

What I don’t want to happen is for P4 to chase the dealership if they’re indeed the registered keeper…then the dealership either: 

A. Pay the fine and try to charge this on to me along with their own admin fee 

OR

B. The dealership tell P4 I was the driver registered to courtesy car making me liable 

What would be the best way for me to avoid paying the PCN?

I’ve read the links at bottom of newbies post provided by Edna Basher for lease/hire cars. However I’m unclear if this is the same for a courtesy car? The only link that seems somewhat applicable is the first one shared by Edna. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5703794/civil-enforcement-and-a-lease-car-cancelled-the-pcn

P4 have an appeal portal on their website. Should I indicate that I have received a PCN and that any communication should be sent to me rather than the dealership and then draft an appeal using the standard points (signage, etc)

Any opinions/help very welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Scotland = usually ignore (albeit the law will change for you within a year, for new PCNs) BUT as it's a courtesy car I would appeal as admitted driver saying the signs were inadequate.

THEN IGNORE IT.

I would admit to driving as that means they CANNOT get the garage's details.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • RomaGolf
    RomaGolf Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Thanks for the advice. Will proceed with admitting driving and appeal on signage.

When they inevitably say there is adequate signs, point to the fact they're BPA approved, etc and continue to chase payment...it's best to simply IGNORE rather than asking for POPLA etc?

Also out of interest - how does admitting driving mean they will not get the garage details? Can they not go to DVLA once the driver is established?

Really appreciate the help

Cheers
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 March at 11:37PM
    No they can't go to the DVLA if they have the driver's details.  DO NOT MENTION IT'S A COURTESY CAR.

I wouldn't bother with POPLA.  Up to you but don't pay even if you try it and lose, of course!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback