PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing association reneging on local agreement. Please help 🙏

Hi all,

Really hoping someone could offer me some advice/guidance on an issue I am desperately worried about. 

When I first moved into my house, I was allocated 2 parking spaces at the front of the houses and my neighbour 2 spaces at the back. The neighbour always used my parking spaces because they have a disabled child with limited mobility and eventually we escalated it to the HA for resolution. A local agreement was reached and we swapped the parking spaces and in that process I also got their garage because it came with the parking. I asked lots of questions at the time and recieved lots of assurances that the local agreement would remain in place for as long as I lived here. This was 3 years ago. 

This morning I have recieved an email from the HA saying that due to Antisocial behaviour, they are asking everyone to revert back to the original parking spaces by 15th March. The only problem is that I now have a garage with 3 years worth of stuff that I don't have room to store anywhere else. 

I let the HA know of my local agreement and at first they denied any existed. After I gave then email evidence proving otherwise, they replied and said that the agreement wasn't made by them but a subcontractor working for them abdbso wasn't valid. I provided evidence that the HA was directly involved and mentioned in the agreement  and they changed the response to that they were able to withdraw from the local agreement at any time given it was not legally binding. They are now giving me until 1st of April to remove all items from the garage and return it back to the neighbours. 

I have found this deeply unpleasant and truly never would have agreed to the switch, if they had made it clear how 'unprotected" it was. I asked on multiple occasions 3 years ago whether they wouldn't ask me to switch back and they always said it was a permanent move so long as I remained a tennat. I never initiated this switch and truly, was not the biggest fan of it initially but I eventually resented following their repeated assurances. 

Given, I don't have the room to accommodate most of the stuff in the garage, I'm faced with throwing most of it away or giving it away. Let alone, the fact that I work full time and clearing a garage full of 3 years worth of stuff in 2 weeks in near on impossible. 

Do the HA have the authority to unilaterally withdraw from this local agreement like this? And do I have any recourse in terms of asking for additional time to clear it out or even keep the agreement as is? 

I'm aware of the housing ombudsman, but not sure how I would go about escalating the issue to them. 

Grateful for any help and advice everyone could offer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback