Boundary/Fencing ownership

Tripledrop
Tripledrop Posts: 333 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all, I wondered if someone can confirm which boundaries are ours from the attached pic of our deeds.. we're the corner property in red, and from what I understand, the small "T" symbol and which side of the boundary it's on indicated this, but I just want to confirm this is the case.

So are both shared boundaries/fences the responsibility of the neighbours?

Thanks!

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes, but this is  merely meaningless 'responsibility'. It can be built on your land by you and be owned by you.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Any responsibility can be as little as ensuring the boundary line is marked, not a requirement to erect any kind of fence or barrier.  Something as basic as a few angle iron posts with a single wire running along it would suffice.  Unless there is anything in the deeds to state what form the boundary must take, the person with 'responsibility' cannot be forced to erect or maintain the fence.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    As above; a title plan without explanation via the exact wording of the title documentation is useless. Sometimes the documentation is silent too.
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The owner is who paid for it, The original fence may have been a 1m high wire fence, It could be long lost info of who put up the current wood fence, or hedge, ect.
  • Tripledrop
    Tripledrop Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As above; a title plan without explanation via the exact wording of the title documentation is useless. Sometimes the documentation is silent too.
    Thanks, I've added the wording I can see in the deeds to the op
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That's your deeds wording I assume. Does not mean the neighbours have the same wording in theirs. You would need to check those as well if it is a fence you are not responsible for which is the concern.
  • aliby21
    aliby21 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February at 10:40AM
    My understanding is that positive covenants don't necessarily run with the land. What is 'the said term', are you still in it? In any case it is probably cheaper to put  up your own fence than go through solicitors to force the neighbour to put one up. 
  • HRMAN
    HRMAN Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    The T on your side or your neighbour's means any fence that was there is that person responsibly 
    If you see an H then it is a joint responsibility this is why these symbols are on Deeds.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,072 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    HRMAN said:
    The T on your side or your neighbour's means any fence that was there is that person responsibly 
    If you see an H then it is a joint responsibility this is why these symbols are on Deeds.
    I understand that the T only means you are responsible for some kind of barrier . It does not mean you are responsible for there being a good quality, well maintained fence ( although you may well do this).
    A barrier could just be a few posts at waist height with a couple of wires between them.
    Also you see many threads on here where people just build and maintain a fence when it is not their responsibility, as the neighbour will not do anything.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback