IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW legal letter before claim

Hi all,
Thanks for the helpful advice in the newbies thread. I am at the point of "Letter before claim" I think, with a letter from BW legal.

I am going to email with the response in the newbies thread (below). I ask though, my partner doesnt have it in her to fight the claim if they do proceed. Is there a point to the below email if I she it not going to follow through on fighting it in court? For example, might they reduce the £60 debt recovery fees or give up entirely just based on this email? Much appreciated

Dear Sirs,

Your Ref. ############
Proposed Legal Proceedings
Claimant: xxxxxx xxxxxxxx Ltd

I refer to your your letter of claim.

I confirm that my address for service for the time being - assuming you don't faff about and delay any claim - is as follows, and any older address must be erased from your records:
[Correct address here]

The alleged debt is disputed and any court proceedings will be vigorously defended.

I am sourcing and seeking independent debt advice and as such, I formally request that this matter be put on hold for an additional 30 days, in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 ('the PAP').

I note that the amount being claimed has increased by a hugely exaggerated amount which the Government called "extorting money from motorists".

Don't send me your usual blather about that.
I have two questions, and under the PAP I am entitled to specific answers:

1. Am I to understand that the additional £70 represents what you lot dress up as a 'Debt Recovery' fee, and if so, is this nett or inclusive of VAT? If the latter, would you kindly explain why I am being asked to pay the operator’s VAT?

2. With regard to the principal alleged PCN sum: Is this damages, or will it be pleaded as consideration for parking?

Yours faithfully

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,644 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 February at 11:55AM
    No they won't, not at this stage.  But some cases never proceed to a court claim, depends on which PPC.

And many cases never proceed to a hearing so don't go paying to avoid a hearing.

Even getting a court claim just needs a template defence at first, and doesn't commit her to 'fighting' or attending a hearing (an offer could be made if it got that far).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback