Council change guttering route on homeowner house without permission

I live next door to a council tenant who is a nightmare at the best of times. 

However today. I was woken to drilling on the side of my house and the down pipe route had been changed. 

The down pipe for us both runs down off my property onto our flat entrance roofs and along another down pipe into my front garden. Apparently my neighbour has issues with water sitting and goes into her garage. So they have extended the down pipe on my property, drilling into the front of my house to add this extension. Then it’s goes over into her property now. 

The council come and made these changes without asking or informing. So now we have this great big bulking closed gutting coming down over the house, over the front of the the Patio entrance and onto her property. 

It looks awful. Doesn’t match or fit with everyone else house in our bit. The council said I still need to service the top part at the top of the guttering as that part is still on my land. They could have put some guttering on her patio as I do at the other end. 

Can I remove this and put it back to the way it was? The council are investigating as to why this was done without me knowing. 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,515
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
     If you can I would be removing it and putting back the way it was . 
     Disgusting that nobody informed you or rather asked your permission to do this. Someone will be in trouble but doubt the council will tell you that. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,319
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I wouldn't do it myself that can lead to conflict with your neighbour and the council and leave you open to any water damage claim and your neighbour has presumably reported water difficulties.

But persue the council on this. Your permission wasn't sought or given is the first priority. It often helps if you can say what you do want.
    So now's the time to have a good look and see if you want it changed in some way that could be a compromise or just your side put back the way it was - and stick to this.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,845
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Assuming your home isn't also owned by the council, then they have no right to make alterations to your property without your permission. I would demand they rectify this within 14 days or you will do so and invoice them for the work.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,522
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Assuming your home isn't also owned by the council, then they have no right to make alterations to your property without your permission. I would demand they rectify this within 14 days or you will do so and invoice them for the work.
    If the OP's property is ex-council they need to check their deeds before doing anything dramatic.

Councils normally include a fairly standard clause in the covenants which gives them the right to run things like services across the property being sold. 

The OP could perhaps have an argument with the council whether the gutter fits within the definition used, and/or whether they should have been notified of the work in advance.  But assuming the council is 100% in the wrong here may be a mistake.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Any chance of photos, DJ?
  • DJ809
    DJ809 Posts: 5
    First Post
    Photo attached. 
  • DJ809
    First Post
    Since adding the extension the top of the guttering looks to have come away as you can see in the photo. 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,048
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Looking at the photo the new down comer goes into her property ,i thought she did not want the water on her side. 
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • DJ809
    First Post
    So water would come down onto the flat roof. Then move along my side and down more guttering on the right of the photo. But she was saying the water would just sit on her flat roof and wouldn’t move along to the guttering on my flat roof. (That guttering is on the far right, not in the photo) 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,048
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    DJ809 said:
    So water would come down onto the flat roof. Then move along my side and down more guttering on the right of the photo. But she was saying the water would just sit on her flat roof and wouldn’t move along to the guttering on my flat roof. (That guttering is on the far right, not in the photo) 
    Ok got it ,the thing is as the guttering now comes down and drains into her property surely that now means she ( the council ) are responsible for its up keep and any costs incurred.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback