To claim or not to claim?

paulfoel
paulfoel Posts: 5,799
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
£800 bill. No other vehicle. (Hit a dog - dog is ok).

£250 excess. Just wondering it its going to be better to pay myself rather than have increased premiums/loss of no claims? How on earth to work it out?
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,029
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How much NCD do you currently have?
  • darkcloudi
    darkcloudi Posts: 561
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 9:57AM
    paulfoel said:
    £800 bill. No other vehicle. (Hit a dog - dog is ok).

Guess you not paying for the dogs vets bills for checkup, etc and nothing will come of this after?, if not and you claiming for just your vehicle I would go with the personal repair, as you would need to report the (fault) claim for 5 years.

I would check insurance costs for claiming for a single claim (if thats all you made) vs no claim on a comparison website, just to see what the damage/costs would be on renewal. But bear in mind it might cost you £800 but insurance may pay out a bit more or less to there registered repairer, as probably charge differently.
  • paulfoel
    Forumite
    Thing is its my son whos on our multi-car policy. 21 years old. 2 years no claims..... If it was me I've got protected no claims but I dont think he has.

It already costs a fortune for his little Hyundai I10.

No not paying dogs vets bills. Dog was loose on a main road 60mph. Can't blame son it happens. Luckily he did manage to brake enough to slow down so dog was ok. BUT the bumper is wrecked.

• DullGreyGuy
    Forumite
    You cannot protect two years so will mean going down to 0 years which is the most expensive outcome you could have. 

What are their current annual premiums? increases are done as a multiplier rather than flat fee. I'd certainly be cautious of claiming just £550 but then an insurance claim for a wrecked bumper will be much more than £850 especially if any part is body coloured. 

Very surprised a bumper can be wrecked but dog ok. 
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,444
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You cannot protect two years so will mean going down to 0 years which is the most expensive outcome you could have. 

What are their current annual premiums? increases are done as a multiplier rather than flat fee. I'd certainly be cautious of claiming just £550 but then an insurance claim for a wrecked bumper will be much more than £850 especially if any part is body coloured. 

My sister’s beagle ran through a hedge and was hit by a fiesta which wrecked the bumper. Dog was ok, cut to the head and a bit bruised. Lived to a ripe old age. Hopefully this dog was just bruised a bit.
  • paulfoel
    Forumite

Yes thats it. Strangely enough when I got 2 quotes one with the accident an 0 no claims as opposed to 3 years no claims it was the same premium. However, add another accident and it shoots up another £700. 

Currently cost £780.

Quote I've got for bumper is £860. 

Ah just found out his excess is £525 because hes not quite 21 - settled that one. Not worth losing no claims for £300.

Yes got to admit thought the dog would be a goner. Hit the dog on a national speed limit road in mid wales. (That was fun trying to find a vet late on a sunday night in mid-wales!). So son took the dog to the vets straight away. We posted on local facebook group and owner responded - dog was obviously badly bruised but nothing broken and expected to be ok. 

Bumper pretty much just disintegrated...... Wish he'd picked the fog light up though that might have been OK to refit into the new bumper. 

• paulfoel
    Forumite

My sister’s beagle ran through a hedge and was hit by a fiesta which wrecked the bumper. Dog was ok, cut to the head and a bit bruised. Lived to a ripe old age. Hopefully this dog was just bruised a bit.
    Yes dog obviously had a bump and was badly bruised but no broken bones which is good news......
  • I would have thought that the dogs licenced owner was responsible for repairs. Perhaps a claim on his home public liability?
    The owners responsability to keep his animal under control.
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 321
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would have thought that the dogs licenced owner was responsible for repairs. Perhaps a claim on his home public liability?
    Was going to say this, but presumably you need to find the dog?
    I'd avoid making a claim if possible, can you get new bumper from a breakers? The are fairly easy to fit generally.
  • DullGreyGuy
    Forumite
    I would have thought that the dogs licenced owner was responsible for repairs. Perhaps a claim on his home public liability?
    Was going to say this, but presumably you need to find the dog?
    The owner responded according to the OP as they were trying to get it seen by a vet. 

Would need to understand how the animal got out in the first place, the layout of the road, lighting (if its at night) etc to balance the duties of both the driver and the dog owner. Its possible there could be some 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback