Universal credit paid for my whole rent this month (extra £260 received), error?

Astrevea
Astrevea Posts: 12
First Post
Forumite
edited 12 February at 7:47PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi all,
I noticed that UC have paid me £260 extra this month which means they have paid for my whole rent (which is £750). Previously I was only receiving £490 per month towards rent.
 I have read that there will be housing benefit increase this year, but my understanding is that it has not yet started and the increase won't be that huge (in my case from £490 to £750).
So is this an error on there part or will I be receiving £750 towards rent every month from now on? 
I would appreciate if someone could clarify. Thanks 

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,770
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What does your payment statement show ? Payments section on the homepage of the claim.

People report receiving extra money into their Bank accounts, when they have not actually checked the UC payment statement to see what the reason is.

If Housing has increased to £750, have you reported any other changes to your claim recently ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,048
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Astrevea said:
    Hi all,
    I noticed that UC have paid me £260 extra this month which means they have paid for my whole rent (which is £750). Previously I was only receiving £490 per month towards rent.
     I have read that there will be housing benefit increases this year, but from what I understood it has not yet started and they are not going to be that huge. 
    So is this an error on there part or will I be receiving £750 towards rent every month from now on? 
    I would appreciate if someone could clarify. Thanks 
    What does your statement say?
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Astrevea
    First Post
    Forumite
    huckster, HillStreetBlues

It is reflected in my statement. And when I click on the figure it shows a breakdown of the amount. 368.74 for the main component and 750.00 for rent.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,048
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Astrevea
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, I have already done this. It is £490 per month, that is why I am wondering.
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 782
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 11:21AM
    The change to Housing Element should apply from the start of the AP where you turned 35, so you should have 1-bed rate for the whole of that AP and ongoing.
    Good to hear that UC picked the change up automatically.
    (Rant): I don't know how they managed to get away with these age related payment bands, there is no rational reason for them.
    Nothing about your circumstances changes on your (25th, or 35th) birthday but suddenly you are somehow 'worth' more benefits than yesterday. It just isn't rational at all why you were not 'worth' the same benefits before.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 2:37PM
    Rant): I don't know how they managed to get away with these age related payment bands, there is no rational reason for them.
    Nothing about your circumstances changes on your (25th, or 35th) birthday but suddenly you are somehow 'worth' more benefits than yesterday. It just isn't rational at all why you were not 'worth' the same benefits before.

Yeah, pay state pension from birth and child benefit until death. Do away with age related benefits
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,136
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Rant): I don't know how they managed to get away with these age related payment bands, there is no rational reason for them.

Yeah, pay state pension from birth and child benefit until death. Do away with age related benefits
    That seems an unnecessarily deliberate obtuse reading of the comment.

The working age thresholds are:
    You get even fewer peanuts if you're under 25, because apparently you have no bills or living expenses, only food.
    You're not allowed the one-bedroom rate like a grown-up until you're 35*.

(*unless you're disabled, but for a young disabled person it will often take years to get diagnosed because they're 'too young to be disabled' / 'too young to have such a terrible condition' - even when the condition is literally in their genes and that's why their body is falling apart)
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 782
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 4:46PM
    There is a rationale for SPA, I won't insult your intelligence, look it up.
    There is no rationale for the current age limits in IR benefits. (There is a reason-  but we are not supposed to debate pennypinching  policy here).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback