PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing mortgage terms before buy closes

Hi. I am a first new buyer. In the process of buying a house with my partner. Mortgage agreed by bank, offer accepted by seller we are now 8-10 weeks away just waiting for the solicitors etc documents to finalise. 

On the first discussion with the bank we offered above the 10% deposit, for about 4000 pounds more than what we had to pay for 10%. This doesn’t give us any financial benefit so thinking now to take that back. On contact it even says we could’ve technically borrow that 4000 more. 

Broker said that won’t be a problem but it will have to go to underwriter again. Any idea what underwriter would check differently or is it just a formallity. Though I don’t think there should be any other flags now like we haven’t taken any loans meanwhile or anything like that, circumstances are the same, just don’t want it to fall at this point when we re so close. 

They did also just call us to say the interest has gone down slightly, so am I right to assume that will go to underwriter too anyway and taking some deposit back won’t make a difference. 

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,291
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 February at 5:22PM
    Lumi23 said:
    This doesn’t give us any financial benefit so thinking now to take that back. 
    If you borrow more then over the term of the mortgage you'll end up paying far more interest. The £4k also has to be repaid. There's no free lunch. 
  • I'm 11 days away from completing and.my.isrtnee and out mortgage broker have changed the mortgage several times due to Santander keeping coming up with better rates. It's not caused any issues and a quick reissue of paperwork and to the solicitors portal by the lenders is all it has taken. 
  • Lumi23
    Lumi23 Posts: 2
    First Post
    Hoenir said:
    Lumi23 said:
    This doesn’t give us any financial benefit so thinking now to take that back. 
    If you borrow more then over the term of the mortgage you'll end up paying far more interest. The £4k also has to be repaid. There's no free lunch. 
    Thanks Hoenir. Yes I probably said it the wrong a as I know that there is interest on that. But thinking that will do monthly overpayments so think in the long term might not make as big of a difference. I will check out worth doing some calculations you re right. But more thinking that house move furniture etc is expensive so could do with that now. Thank you for your answer 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback