New radiator only warm at bottom

Fitted a new radiator in the living room Type 22. The top is lovely and hot but the bottom is only warm. 

All the other radiators are fine

Any thoughts

TIA
Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    New rad, so it'll be clean inside.
    I guess it isn't getting enough flow. Was the previous rad also a '22'?
    Did you shut off both valves? What did you open them up to?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 February at 6:34PM
    Try turning down the exit fitting on the radiator ,did you balance this radiator ? maybe the hot water is travelling thru the radiator too fast that it does not fill the whole thing with hot water.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 249
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't know if OP has thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs), but this should work on both traditional hand-wheel valves and TRVs. Be sure you know which valve is "flow" (hot side from the boiler) and which is "return" (going back to the boiler). Now fully close the "return" valve, and open the "flow" 100%, obviously your rad will NOT heat-up like this. Next make sure the CH is running, wack-up the room stat if need be. Go back to the "return" valve and open it it say half-a-turn, and wait for a couple minutes for the rad to heat-up. If not enough turn the "return" some more (another half-turn) and wait again. Repeat until rad is nice and warm all over, return room stat to your usual setting. From here on, use the "flow" valve to regulate this rad.
    The reason you don't wack-up both valves to 100% at the same time is your rad will heat-up quickly BUT can "short circuit" your CH circuit AND all your other rads then go cold, not good.
    If none of this works then sounds like all the sludge in your system has migrated into you rad OR your whole radiator system needs "re-balancing". As above for every radiator, more later if needed. Good luck.

• mexican_dave
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't forget your radiator will never be the same temperature all over, hot water rises and as it cools it sinks.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone, did balance but will do it again to be doubly sure
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,653
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 2:54PM
    We have a similar problem with our hallway radiator - it is on its own spur but the boiler is clearly not man enough to pump hot water to that as well as a new spur with a feed to our new extension (small rad and large towel rad).
    Result a hall radiator that's hot at the bottom and cold at the top
    I have bled the hall rad - until water comes out - but still no heat !!
    We have TRV's on all rads - but they do not actually affect the flow - the heating is never on long enough to reach the cut off temperature.
  • mexican_dave
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    @MouldyOldDough your rad is hot at the bottom and cold at the top? Classic symptoms of air trapped in the top of the rad! You say you have bled the air but no improvement, I am really puzzled. Does the rad improve at least in the short-term? If yes, then I guess your hall rad seems to be collecting all/any "air" in your system over time. Otherwise I am out of ideas, sorry!
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,140
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @MouldyOldDough your rad is hot at the bottom and cold at the top? Classic symptoms of air trapped in the top of the rad! You say you have bled the air but no improvement, I am really puzzled. Does the rad improve at least in the short-term? If yes, then I guess your hall rad seems to be collecting all/any "air" in your system over time. Otherwise I am out of ideas, sorry!
    You should re read the original post .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure