Used advice from MSE lost and cost me £3000

Hey all,

just an update from me. I had to take a local authority to small claims court. 

I lost the case, the judge allowed the defendant to award costs so I had to pay out over £3,000. 

The MSE article doesn’t give this information as a warning. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,322
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's not very helpful as a warning if no one knows what article you are referring to.  can you provide a link?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,791
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm assuming this - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court/

But guessing the OP didn't get as far as reading the part that said expenses can be awarded against you.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,307
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This is vaguely ringing a bell (and the OP also mentions an update) but it looks if any previous threads on the topic may have been removed. I don’t remember the details as to what it was about. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 854
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    This is vaguely ringing a bell (and the OP also mentions an update) but it looks if any previous threads on the topic may have been removed. I don’t remember the details as to what it was about. 
    I vaguely remember this too. Fairly sure the advice was to speak to the local council ombudsman; and that most council services aren’t offered on a consumer/contractor relationship so a lot of the CRA doesn’t apply
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 1,921
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Was this the 'recently painted house allegedly dirtied by council workmen' case?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,684
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    fsuk_83 said:
    Hey all,

just an update from me. I had to take a local authority to small claims court. 

I lost the case, the judge allowed the defendant to award costs so I had to pay out over £3,000. 

The MSE article doesn’t give this information as a warning. 
    From bottom of EVERY PAGE..

We think it's important you understand the strengths and limitations of the site. We're a journalistic website and aim to provide the best MoneySaving guides, tips, tools and techniques, but can't guarantee to be perfect, so do note you use the information at your own risk and we can't accept liability if things go wrong.

Life in the slow lane
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
    • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
    • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 172.5K Life & Family
    • 246.8K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure