PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House purchase, no BRA for 14 year extension

The house we're hoping to buy is 1960s bungalow with a 2010 extension. It has BR 'started' but no approval cert. Survey has not brought up and issues and it looks sound too. We're looking to vault the ceilings in the extension, and add velux and we know we'll need BRA etc and will ensure we get a completion cert. 

My question is, will the lack of BRA impact further work we want to do and will us getting BRA for the extra work take away the issue of the missing BRA once we come to sell in the future? 

Should I insist our sellers get retrospective approval, otherwise the lack of it becomes my problem when I try to sell in the future? 

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,718
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 February at 12:52PM
    If your BR application reads 'insulation upgrades and new roof window to existing extension' then your new certificate will end up regularising the old one, to a certain degree.  

It's possible that the building control officer might want to see some additional upgrades, which would be for your own benefit, but in 25 years I've never seen an BCO bothered about the pre-existing structures when the whole point is that we're upgrading them.  

I certainly don't see the point in the time and effort to regularise something where the intention is to improve.  

Previous experience of instances where BCA has been sought but not finished is that people have simply forgotten the final inspection.  

Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,620
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just be aware that converting a normal trussed roof into a vaulted roof, usually means roof completely off and a complete new roof structure.  That will expose all the former work so I am sure there will be no issues with sign off as long as any problems revealed are dealt with.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,344
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree there seems little point in retrospectively "sorting" the previous approval if you're about to do significant new works to the same part of the house. Unless your surveyor thinks there's some sort of fundamental problem e.g. witth foundations.
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,108
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think the biggest issue you may have to regularise it will be the foundations. Assuming they were inspected, then the rest should be pretty straightforward.

Oh, cavity walls I think are now have a gap wider than 100mm so that may cause another problem.
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport