Leaky chimney in new house / possible roof replacement

Looking for advice about some roofing problems we've discovered in our house we've just bought.

It's a mid terrace Victorian house and we bought it and moved in a couple of weeks ago. We had a couple of viewings (both during dry weather) and had a full buildings survey done (again in dry weather) so neither us nor the surveyor picked up that there was a significant leak in the chimney of the property. Although now on reflection, it's obvious even from the house pictures that there is defective lead flashing on the neighbour's side which is likely causing the leak. The timbers on our side are now soaked and probably rotting. We were thinking of redoing the roof within the following 5 years anyway.

My questions are:
1. Is it the neighbour's responsibility to fix the lead flashing on their side, if our side is fine? In all honesty, I'd rather the first conversation we have with them, not to be demanding they pay to fix their side of the roof so I'd be happy to have our roofer fix it if they're up there anyway doing work.

2. How do you know a roof needs fully replacing? From what we can tell, it's got the old type sarking felt, it's leaking, the battens by the leak are sodden and there's moss growth all over the outside so am thinking it does need replacing as I don't want to pay for scaffolding now to fix the lead and then again in a couple of years to keep patching problems.

3. Could anyone provide a ballpark figure for a roof replacement they've had recently? It's a 3 bed mid terrace.

We've got 2-3 roofers coming next week to quote for both repairs and full roof replacements but in my head I'm thinking it'll be upwards of £10,000.

Thank you in advance to anyone who read all that!

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,920
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Check your title deeds for whose responsibility it is to repair the roof. You might have a shared responsibility, or it might be separate. If it's separate in theory it is your neighbours responsibility to repair although if it's damaging your property you may want to help or at least point it out to them as it must be affecting their property as well.
    Get a roofer you trust and they will tell you if the roof needs replacing. Moss on the outside isn't a big deal, it can be cleaned off and sealed. Wet timbers aren't a big deal as long as there is no rot, fix the leaks and they will dry out. 
    When we moved into our house we were told we would get a few years from our roof, in the end it was another 10 years before we got a full re-roof, a couple of patch repairs in the interim were enough to see us through.
  • Green_hopeful
    Green_hopeful Posts: 592
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There is a Facebook group for old buildings where they are really knowledgeable on this type of situation. You would have to join and then post your questions with some pictures. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1023449561785486/?mibextid=c7yyfP
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,232
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    If the roof timbers have deteriorated to the extent the OP says, surely that should have been picked up on a full building survey?  Try weather wouldn't alter the state of rotten timbers.
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,799
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Is it a slate roof?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business