PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any ideas?

First time post, hopefully i am in the right group.

I am 57, employed and single. I have no mortgage on my flat which is worth approximately £150k. I have two pensions worth about £240k. I have no dependents, both parents have passed on. 
My question is, what do i do with my £150k flat? Ideally id rather use the equity in it to supplement my pension then i can retire earlier. Does anyone have any experience in using one of the many equity release firms? Is there another way i can use the equity before i die? I dont really want to move and downsize, my flats small enough.
Basically just looking for some ideas.
Cheers

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,191
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 February at 1:11PM
    I'm not able to answer your question, but I'm curious about two things. You say that you are single, and have no dependents. Does this mean that there are no close relatives or others that  you are concerned about leaving an inheritance to? (I'm not suggesting that you should.) Also, do you think you might enter into a full relationship in the future? (Again, not suggesting that you should.)
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Welcome to the forum, @GeordieNomad

A good start for you would be to read what our founder Martin Lewis has to say about equity release  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/equity-release/

After reading that you might decide it's not for you.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,181
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am 57, employed and single. I have no mortgage on my flat which is worth approximately £150k. I have two pensions worth about £240k

In pension terms £240K is not a massive number, but is way ahead of the average.

As you are still working, even say for another 5 years and you keep contributing as much as possible to a pension+ tax relief + employer contribution + hopefully some investment growth. Then your pot would be worth more.

Plus maybe you will have some other savings?

Then at 67? you will get the full state pension presumably ( have you checked?) With only you to look after, and assuming you are not a wild spender, than quite possibly no need to think about equity release or downsizing.

There is a MSE Pensions and Retirement forum Pensions, annuities & retirement planning — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Plus plenty of threads on retiring without a massive pension.

How much to live on — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 958
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't forget SP.  You are the same age as me so will get it in 2033.  Have you factored that in?

My 67y/o husband retired in November and has applied to be a seasonal car park attendant at a National Trust garden.  It won't bring in much (if he gets it!) but would be useful as a buffer and for holidays.  I work part-time as an event steward.  If you want to retire early, could/would you do something similar?  I'm not stuck to a rigid timetable, just work when I can/want to.

Sorry, probably not helpful but just throwing ideas out that would avoid equity release.  Those two words make me shudder.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,379
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In my experience of sorting out my late brother's estate - his house had equity release - is that they appeared to me a bunch of blood-sucking cheats with "interesting" interest rates:

But I'm sure others will have other views.

Best wishes to all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure