IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UK Parking Control Limited (via DCB Legal Ltd)

TheWannabeBarrister
TheWannabeBarrister Posts: 22
First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 5 February at 10:36PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello everyone,

Hope you're having a great start to the year.

I will be using this thread to track a new claim I have received a couple of weeks ago.

I currently have one other claim open, both of which are represented by DCB Legal. The other is slightly further down the chain of events. So, I'll be using this thread to track this, and my other thread to track that case.

Here is all the important details:

ISSUE DATE OF CLAIM: 23th January 2024

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SERVICE: 05th February 2024

FINAL DATE TO SUBMIT DEFENCE: 26th February 2024

The particulars of the Claim are shown below:

I think this calls for the stand template of defence.

One thing I will add is...

"Whoever was driving this car on this day, I think they were doing a speed awareness course and had to borrowing McDonald's WIFI for the day since the individuals wifi hadn't been setup in a new house. Or perhaps they had an interview and taster shift at the old Golden Arches. I can't quite remember which, but both of those sound like legitimate defences either way."

What's your thoughts Coupon Mad et al

Comments

• Current To Do List:

1. Submit Defence - In Progress - Deadline: 4th March 2024
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,073
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 February at 9:55PM

FINAL DATE TO SUBMIT DEFENCE: 4th March 2024
    You are mistaken with your Defence filing deadline.
    You have less time than you think.

With a Claim Issue Date of 23rd January, and having filed an Acknowledgment of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 26th February 2024 to file your Defence.

That's three weeks away. Plenty of time to produce a Defence but please don't leave it to the last minute.
    To create a Defence, and then file a Defence by email, look at the second post in the NEWBIES thread.
    Don't miss the deadline for filing a Defence.

Do not try and file a Defence via the MoneyClaimOnline website. Once an Acknowledgment of Service has been filed, the MCOL website should be treated as 'read only'.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,234
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 February at 10:46PM
    Hello everyone,

I will be using this thread to track a new claim I have received a couple of weeks ago.

I currently have one other claim open, both of which are represented by DCB Legal. The other is slightly further down the chain of events. So, I'll be using this thread to track this, and my other thread to track that case.

"Whoever was driving this car on this day, I think they were doing a speed awareness course and had to borrowing McDonalds for the day wifi since their wifi hadn't been setup in a new house. Or perhaps they had an interview and taster shift at the old Golden Arches. I can't quite remember which, but both of those sound like legitimate defences either way."

KeithP is right. Your dates are wrong.

What does this mean?

"had to borrowing McDonalds for the day"
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP said:

With a Claim Issue Date of 23rd January, and having filed an Acknowledgment of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 26th February 2024 to file your Defence.

That's three weeks away. Plenty of time to produce a Defence but please don't leave it to the last minute.
    To create a Defence, and then file a Defence by email, look at the second post in the NEWBIES thread.

Do not try and file a Defence via the MoneyClaimOnline website. Once an Acknowledgment of Service has been filed, the MCOL website should be treated as 'read only'.
    I'm sure it stated 28 Days to submit a defence when I was completing the Acknowledgment of Service on MCOL? 

Mind Clarifying why it's 21 Days @KeithP

• TheWannabeBarrister
    TheWannabeBarrister Posts: 22
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 February at 10:37PM
    Hello everyone,

"Whoever was driving this car on this day, I think they were doing a speed awareness course and had to borrowing McDonalds for the day wifi since their wifi hadn't been setup in a new house. Or perhaps they had an interview and taster shift at the old Golden Arches. I can't quite remember which, but both of those sound like legitimate defences either way."

KeithP is right. Your dates are wrong.

What does this mean?

"and had to borrowing McDonalds for the day"
    Sorry what I meant to say was borrowing McDonald's WIFI to attend the speed awareness course. I know none of this is relevant at Defence stage, but at Witness Statement stage what narrative would be appropriate?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,073
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 February at 11:23PM
    KeithP said:

I'm sure it stated 28 Days to submit a defence when I was completing the Acknowledgment of Service on MCOL? 

It's not that it is '21 days' rather than '28 days', it's simply that it is 28 days from the Date of Service.

The back of your County Court Claim Form tells you:

Note the last sentence there - "The day of service is taken as 5 days after the issue date shown overleaf".

It goes on to say:

This is confirmed in the Money Claim Online (MCOL) - User Guide, which also explains that a Defence is never due on a non-working day.

On page 14 of that document it says:
    How long does the defendant have to respond to my claim?

The court will send out a claim pack to each defendant once the claim has been issued and allows 5 calendar days from the date of issue for the service of the claim. Therefore the 'date of service' is the 5th calendar day after issue.

The defendant has 14 calendar days from the 'date of service' to file a response. If the last day for filing the response falls on a day that the court is not open (i.e. a weekend or public holiday), the court will allow the next full working day for a response. The defendant can extend the time to respond to 28 calendar days by filing an acknowledgment of service (AOS).
  • KeithP said:
    KeithP said:

It's not that it is '21 days' rather than '28 days', it's simply that it is 28 days from the Date of Service.

The back of your County Court Claim Form tells you:

Note the last sentence there - "The day of service is taken as 5 days after the issue date shown overleaf".

It goes on to say:

This is confirmed in the Money Claim Online (MCOL) - User Guide, which also explains that a Defence is never due on a non-working day.

On page 14 of that document it says:
    How long does the defendant have to respond to my claim?

The court will send out a claim pack to each defendant once the claim has been issued and allows 5 calendar days from the date of issue for the service of the claim. Therefore the 'date of service' is the 5th calendar day after issue.

The defendant has 14 calendar days from the 'date of service' to file a response. If the last day for filing the response falls on a day that the court is not open (i.e. a weekend or public holiday), the court will allow the next full working day for a response. The defendant can extend the time to respond to 28 calendar days by filing an acknowledgment of service (AOS).
    Thank's for taking the time to clarify that in such detail. I glossed over the 28 days, so thank god we have a hero like yourself doing gods work. I've amended the date in my thread and will post my the relevant snippet of my defence soon.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,927
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

"Whoever was driving this car on this day, I think they were doing a speed awareness course and had to borrowing McDonald's WIFI for the day since the individuals wifi hadn't been setup in a new house. Or perhaps they had an interview and taster shift at the old Golden Arches. I can't quite remember which, but both of those sound like legitimate defences either way."

If you do add that (once you have sorted out the sentence structure as answered to @Coupon-mad's question) you need to use the third person, "defendant" rather than "I".  Are you denying driving on that day?  Is the PCN POFA compliant?
  • Le_Kirk said:

If you do add that (once you have sorted out the sentence structure as answered to @Coupon-mad's question) you need to use the third person, "defendant" rather than "I".  Are you denying driving on that day?  Is the PCN POFA compliant?
    No I was driving on that day are was the one who parked the car. The reason why I was in McDonalds was because I was using the wifi for a speed awareness course.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,234
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Therefore you admit to driving and don't put vague stuff like:

"Whoever was driving this car on this day, I think they were doing a speed awareness course "
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback