PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Advert Opinions

Matthew09
Matthew09 Posts: 12
First Post
Forumite
edited 5 February at 2:48PM in House buying, renting & selling
Afternoon,

Have had our house on the market for almost a week now with no viewings, but over 2000 advert views. It is priced fairly high for a 3 bed detached in our area however is 500sqft bigger than other similar properties. Wondering if it's just a bit of a niche being larger than others and therefore buyers are initially put off by the higher price and don't look any further so may be a while to get viewings.

Wonder if anyone would have any feedback on the listing?  

(Link Removed by Forum Team)

Cheers,
Matthew.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,305
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The first page says there's no floor plan but I can see one in the photos - might not be obvious enough for viewers?

Maybe people are put off by the walls they will need to paint?  I like the bright green but it might not be to everyone's taste.  And the dark walls are something I would need to factor a cost for changing.  

The write up is better than many I've read and is wonderfully enthusiastic.  I then looked at the "beautifully landscaped gardens" and frankly expected something more than a lawn and a border.  It looks nice and tidy and an easy space to move in to but maybe would be more accurately be described as "simple, family friendly" or some such?  A great place to have a bbq of course and some al fresco dining.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Matthew09
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Brie. Yeah i've asked the estate agent to put this into the floor plan part of the advert. Get where you're coming from on the painting, I suppose it's likely that any house you buy you'd want to paint / put your own stamp on it anyway. Yeah the description is definitely a bit 'more' than I would have put, but that's estate agents for you. As you say, it's more an open space to do what you want with than a beautifully landscaped garden. Thanks again 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Has it had a garage conversion which makes it larger - perhaps not everyone wants that ? 

advert looks OK (get them to change the spelling of orangery) - guess market just very slow
  • Matthew09
    First Post
    Forumite
    It has had a garage conversion Flugelhorn. It wouldn't put me off it as it's a nice space, but personally i'd rather the garage. Yep spotted that, maybe you're right on the market being slow and plenty of houses in the area currently for sale. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,262
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Conservatory open to the rest of the house is going to put some off...
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Matthew09 said:

...It is priced fairly high for a 3 bed detached in our area however is 500sqft bigger than other similar properties. Wondering if it's just a bit of a niche being larger than others and therefore buyers are initially put off by the higher price and don't look any further so may be a while to get viewings.

Any building regs approval for the conservatory/kitchen knock through?

Personally I'd note the extra floor area, but then be weighing up whether it made sense to spend more money on a property that may come with problems, vs buying an unextended property and having a proper extension added.
  • Matthew09
    First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah there is as far as i'm aware - was done a few owners previously.

Cheers Section62
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,590
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 February at 2:00PM
    FreeBear said:
    I can agree with that.

My brother did the same in a house with an almost identical style and layout, and built 2 side walls and a conservatory style rear and glass roof open to the kitchen.

It cost an absolute fortune to heat and was always cold... and this was well before gas prices went through the roof (pardon the pun).

I beleive him realising this was also one of the reasons he sold it (in the summer, obviously!)  :smile:
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,169
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    Was about to say, that I wouldn't consider it for this reason. I hate conservatories after past experiences dying of heat in the summer and freezing to death in the winter. No way to close those extremes off.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,908
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 February at 2:10PM
    Price seems to be on a par with similar properties.  The dark walls may put some people off, but as the house looks to be immaculate I wouldn't have thought that would be a major problem - I could certainly live with that until I got round to re-decorating.  

Probably the market is still a bit slow - give it time.  And don't take too much notice of the number of website views. The vast majority of these won't be house hunters, but just people having a good old nose.  My late mum would have been thrilled with the idea of nebbing round people's houses - I doubt we'd have  been able to pry her away from the screen!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure