Claiming HB On Reaching Retirement Age

When you reach state retirement age,  UC and the housing element stops.
For claiming housing benefit on reaching retirement age through the council do you wait until UC stops before applying?
Thanks all.


  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 848
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think the Uc claim runs on until the end of the assessment period in which you turn state pension age. Uc is paid in arrears so you should have the Uc payment to tide you over if the HB claim takes a few weeks to process.
  • Turtle_Powa
    Turtle_Powa Posts: 19
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February at 7:39PM
    I would phone your local council for an informal chat. They will deal with this kind of thing a fair amount.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,079
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 February at 8:07PM
    With House benefit (unlike UC) you can claim in advance, so I would have though you could make the start date when UC  finishes.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Riverstone58
    Riverstone58 Posts: 67
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for all replies.
    The obvious thing is to phone the council but with a number of issues I've had/am having with them I'd rather not contact them as yet.
    It was just a general question and I guessed it would be when my UC stopped on pension age but wasn't totally sure.
    I struggle sometimes using the net on my phone to get info on things and I just wondered that's all.
    Thanks again though.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,776
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Apply to Council about 1 month before state pension age and that should enable time for processing. 

    UC runs until end of assessment period in which you reach state pension age, but the UC statement will be calculated  taking into account state pension from the date it was due to you.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards