Dashcam - am I missing something here?

Just bought an Object brand, dual camera Dashcam.

The front camera is part of a rear view mirror, that clips over the existing interior mirror, and the rear camera is a little cube, about 1"x1"x1", which plugs into the mirror unit, with a very long wire.

When I power it up, the front camera (the one built into the mirror unit) shows an image on the screen, but the rear camera doesn't show an image.

Is the unit faulty, or is there a setting I need to change, or some other thing I need to do, to get the rear camera working?

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,035
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Had a quick look on google but it does not show the instructions ,but looking at the image there appears to be buttons on the bottom of the mirror ,do you not have to push one of them to activate the rear camera
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Money_and_Travel
    Money_and_Travel Posts: 22
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 February at 5:48PM
    Going from left to right, the buttons are:-

Power on/off. Pushing it briefly while it's powered, turns the screen on and off.

Menu. You can only access the menu when the recoding has been stopped (see the OK button below).

Unknown button which shows a symbol of a flower or the sun.

Left pointing arrow. This (in conjunction with right pointing arrow next to it) appears to take you up and down the menu.

OK button. Turns the recording on and off, when the screen is lit up. when in the menu, it is used to select an option.

So I think I know what all the buttons do, except for the unknown flower or sun symbol button. 
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,181
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

So I think I know what all the buttons do, except for the unknown flower or sun symbol button. 
    Presumably to identify different flora (in the daytime) and constellations at night?

Or, basing this on typical camera controls, the flower might mean close-up (though why this would be applicable to a dashcam I'm not sure) and for when the light is bright (so changing the contrast, maybe).
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,024
    Forumite
    Does the flower button take an instant photo ?
  • MikeJXE said:
    Pressing it once causes the screen to come on, and pressing it again shows a frozen image.

Pressing it a third time shows the same frozen image, but with an OK button in the middle.

Pressing it once more takes it back to the regular moving image.
  • MikeJXE
    Forumite
    MikeJXE said:
    Pressing it once causes the screen to come on, and pressing it again shows a frozen image.

Pressing it a third time shows the same frozen image, but with an OK button in the middle.

Pressing it once more takes it back to the regular moving image.
    But is there a photo on the media card ? 

• MikeJXE said:

But is there a photo on the media card ? 

Yes, but I can't figure out how to protect a video clip.
  • MikeJXE
    Forumite
    I Have next base from Halfords that protects some clips IT thinks relevant 

If I wanted to be sure it's protected I would download it to my phone and keep it in a safe place 
  • MikeJXE said:
    If I wanted to be sure it's protected I would download it to my phone and keep it in a safe place 

Mine doesn't connect to a phone.

You have to remove the SD card and put it in a computer, to copy it to a storage device.
  • Money_and_Travel
    Money_and_Travel Posts: 22
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 February at 8:27AM
    Here are the instructions.

If you can follow them, you're a better an than me.  :) 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback