Title Deeds Selling my grandmothers house

I don't know if anyone has heard of this before but im selling my grandmothers house after her recent death and the solicitor has informed me that there are 2 other names on the title deeds of the house which are the solicitors for the person she bought the house from in 1979 for £1500 she rented the house from 1959 and bought the house from the landlord by paying a private mortgage by way of rent !(common place in our area )
The 2 people named on the deeds(solicitors) are now deceased and my grandmother has not owed any money for 40 years but the solicitor has told me he cannot go any further with the sale until this discrepancy has been rectified has anybody got any idea at all why this could be and what we can do about it .  In my opinion the deeds wouldn't have been released if the debt had not been paid .  And if a solicitor does not know how to rectify it how would i know 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as i am at a loss

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,414
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am not sure the "deeds being released" has much significance - they became far less important when the digital register was started though this was after 1979 etc. 

Can see why your solicitor is a bit stuck, looks for all the world like the 2 solicitors own (owned) it - is gran's name on there at all? what date do these deeds come from?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,191
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Are these the paper deeds? Or what is shown on the land registry? 
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,935
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am guessing that ths house has never been registered, which means that the title deeds are important
  • Alphatauri
    Alphatauri Posts: 102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As the two people named on the deeds were solicitors I would suggest a couple of things. 

Firstly do the deeds show the name of their firm and or their address? This can help with step 2.

Contact the SRA https://www.sra.org.uk/  and provide as much detail as possible and explain you are trying to track the solicitors and their firms. I believe the SRA maybe able to tell you who takes over from a retiring solicitor. 

Hopefully you will end up with the current firm who can go through their files.

Another option is that your local library may have historic telephone books/yellow pages to help you track down if the firm still exists. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback