PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property law

Hi, I am to inherit my late dad's house. Probabte is going to be applied for soon. I thought I would let the house while the estate is settled. I won't see this money I know but any income the estate makes will be subject to 20% income tax. However my probate solicitor told me to get advise from a property law expert to see if there are any legal pitfalls in renting before the estate is settled . What should I be aware of?

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,590
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do you plan to live in the house?

If you do then biggest pitfall could be getting tenants to move.

I would suggest you have a look at what as a landlord you would be responsible for.
    Life in the slow lane
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,588
    Forumite
    What happens if the tenant won't move out when you want them to? Or stops paying rent or trashes the place?

I'd strongly recommend against it
  • Millsandovis
    Millsandovis Posts: 40
    First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like a lot of added aggravation at a time when you probably don’t need it 
  • Hutch78
    Hutch78 Posts: 2
    First Post
    I don't plan to ever live in the house. I live 200 miles away and only thought it a good idea as someone would be in the house looking after it. I'm just worried with it being left empty for what could be a year. 
    I definitely don't want to make my life harder but living so far away makes it hard to tend to the garden and check everything is in order.
  • Hutch78 said:
    I don't plan to ever live in the house. I live 200 miles away and only thought it a good idea as someone would be in the house looking after it. I'm just worried with it being left empty for what could be a year. 
    I definitely don't want to make my life harder but living so far away makes it hard to tend to the garden and check everything is in order.
    The issue you need to weigh up is, they might not look after it.  They could be "problem tenants" or you might have a never-ending stream of repair issues.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,452
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As soon as you have probate just get the house sold. Price it to sell then it won't be left empty for long.

Forget any idea of renting it out. Being a landlord is hard work, being a distant landlord is harder. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,186
    Forumite
    edited 1 February at 6:42PM
    You don't say, but we are assuming you are the (joint?) Executer? If not, then this is not your decision.

What are the long term plans for the property? Pass to a Beneficiary? If so, for them to live in? To let out? To use as a 2nd home?
    Or is the plan to sell and distribute the proceeds?
    If selling, then setting up a tenancy and taking on all the legal and practical obligations, not to mention the risks, and the difficulty down the line of either selling with tenants or evicting them first, mean this is not worth doing.
    If keeping, only let the property if the ultimate Beneficiary also intends to let the property (and involve them in the decision, tenant selection, tenancy set-up even though legally it is still the Estate [Executer] who is the initial landlord.
    Unless the Estate/will is complex/huge Probate should not take a year.

Put empty home insurance in place, apply for Council Tax rebate (I think it's zero CT following death of sole owner pending Probate, but check), and find or pay someone local to go in periodically.
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 511
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hutch78 said:
    Sounds like you want people to pay to do maintenance for you, rather than the other way around! 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,251
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    As soon as you have probate just get the house sold. Price it to sell then it won't be left empty for long.

Forget any idea of renting it out. Being a landlord is hard work, being a distant landlord is harder. 
    Being a live-in landlord can be taxing as well.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 804
    Forumite

Or to put it another way...

Sell Forrest, Sell!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport