Bereavement support

Father of my daughter took his own life in 2021. We were not together at the time. However he did work and paid maintenance to support her. Does anyone know of any support that can get accessed in this instance? 

Comments

• Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,843
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I can’t help with your question, I’m sure someone will be along soon, but just wanted to say sorry for your loss. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £45,189.63/b]
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,418
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Did your daughter inherit anything from his estate? Unless he had a spouse, then your daughter , and any siblings, would have been the next to inherit.

Also if not provided for in a will then she could have claimed, however I think this has to be done fairly quickly after the death.

Was there any "death in service benefits" from where he worked? these would normally have been paid to nearest family or whoever he nominated but the trustees can amend this to pay it people he was financially supporting .

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,635
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    For Bereavement Support from DWP you need to be living together at the time of death.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback