Max time to fix a boiler?

What is the maximum time it would take to fix a boiler continously on site - 1 hour - 2 hours - 6 hours - 8 hours? Sorry I can't be more specific. Surely if it took 6 hours to fix then it must be a very serious problem and might as well replace.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Comments

• pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How many pieces of cheese can you fit in a box?

Without any specifics about the issue, the diagnostics and the fix, you're asking a question thats impossible to answer.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,302
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Agree with above, it might take six hours to get working again but some of that time may well have been working out what the issue was, I know I'd rather pay for six hours of labour and maybe a part than pay out and wait to have a boiler replaced.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 February at 8:39AM
    I think you would expect pretty much any standard gas boiler repair - the most involved likely being replacing the MainX - to be carried out within, ooh, a couple of hours? Ish. But that would involve the faulty part being known, and not requiring lengthy diagnosing. And for no other parts being needed, and no other repairs.
    Some stupid boiler designs have their EVs mounted at the back, so require the whole boiler to be removed. Again, tho', a GS familiar with the job should be able to do this in a couple of hours or so.
    A repair taking much longer than this would usually, I think, be down to a considerable element of fault-finding. Or finding their 'repair' wasn't, and having to go on to another suspicious part.
    Or having to go off-site in order to get the parts.
    But - how long is a piece of cheese? What is the actual case you are asking about?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,262
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    It depends entirely on the nature of the fault.  If it's simple to diagnose and the part is in a location where it's easy to replace, the timescale will be much shorter than an obscure and intermittent fault caused, for example, by a faulty connection which isn't completely dead.  Years ago we had a situation where the engineer found a fault and fixed it, only for that then to reveal another issue, and so on.  All were to do with circuitry but until each fault was fixed the next wasn't apparent.  That did take all day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback