Free School Meals

Hi,

I wondered if anybody could help. My WTC has stopped as I updated my income online to prevent an overpayment (I received some backpay as in education so income went up a little). 

I am now only receiving CTC and therefore should be eligible for FSM (income way below the threshold). However my local council are saying I am not eligible as I have received WTC this financial year.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 312
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your income is below the threshold, why are you not receiving WTC?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,618
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yamor said:
    If your income is below the threshold, why are you not receiving WTC?
    NothiIng to do with WRC

Income below the limit for free school meals when in receipt of CTC only.
  • Time2count
    Time2count Posts: 36
    First Post
    Forumite
    When was your last payment of WTC? And is your gross annual income less than £16190?
    It might just be a timing thing depending on your last WTC payment. It isn't related to the financial year though, it can literally be checked daily and updated as things change. If you haven't had a payment yet of only CTC I would wait until you have and then ask for the check to be redone.

• Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 312
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 January at 6:07PM
    WTC is very relevant here.

If you are still working sufficient hours to be entitled to WTC, but WTC is not in payment because you have been paid too much this year so far by HMRC, then you are still not entitled to FSM.

That is why I asked why the OP is not receiving WTC.

If it's because they no longer qualify for WTC due to reduced hours, then they should be getting FSM.

If it's because they have provided a higher estimated income to HMRC, meaning that they are no longer owed any WTC for this year (due to receiving it all already), then it is correct that they are not entitled to FSM.
  • Thanks both.

Yes I updated my income with them as I don't want to receive an overpayment. So according to Yamor, they are right. I am not eligible because I have already had all my tax credits 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback