Bathroom Extractor fan

Hi
Our bathroom has extractor fan with no timer function,and hence minimal mold is a problem
If we bring in a sparky is it easy to wire up to install an extractor fan with timer function.
We dont have any isolator switch outside the bathroom.
Many Thanks

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,048
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi
    Our bathroom has extractor fan with no timer function,and hence minimal mold is a problem
    If we bring in a sparky is it easy to wire up to install an extractor fan with timer function.
    Many Thanks
    Is it a ceiling mounted one or fitted in a window ,does it switch on and off with the light ?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,969
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd ensure you get one with a humidstat to ensure it runs for long enough to deal with any moisture.
  • 11fernsroad
    11fernsroad Posts: 215
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ganga said:
    Hi
    Many Thanks
    Is it a ceiling mounted one or fitted in a window ,does it switch on and off with the light ?

ceiling mounted
    comes on with pull string switch for light,and goes off with light
  • 11fernsroad
    11fernsroad Posts: 215
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    question was about ease of wiring up from present set up to install one with timer and humidistat
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,806
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    question was about ease of wiring up from present set up to install one with timer and humidistat
    I don't see how the wiring would need to be any different 
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,236
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 January at 10:41PM
    sevenhills said:
    I don't see how the wiring would need to be any different 
    Fans with a run on timer need 3 wires to the fan -  "Permanent" Live, Switched Live and Neutral.

If the current fan goes on and off immediately with the light switch there's almost certainly no Permanent Live avaliable to the Fan currently and will need to be added together with an isolation switch outside the bathroom. It's still an easy job for any sparky. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    11fr, what access is there to the ceiling above? As Nearly says, almost certainly your fan will require a permanent live added, so it can keep on running after the light switch has been turned off.
    There's a chance that this can be obtained from the light fitting, depending on how that was wired. Is the light also on the ceiling? And is it close to the fan?
    I'm not sure what the regs say about this, tho' - I always thought a fan required its own isolating switch, a 3-pole type if a timer type.
    Have you looked in cupboards and similar to see if there is an isolator in there? High up on the wall outside, perhaps? It usually looks like a wide light switch!
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,151
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ours did not have an isolation switch or timer but the electrician added the switch and replace the fan to a better one after we moved in. No idea how he did it without causing any damage, but now there is a switch on the wall near the light switch where previously there was nothing.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,169
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is a chance that the current fan has a timer function, and it just has not been wired in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback