What do you do if your name appears on a winners list and you haven't been contacted?

My name appears on a winners list three times with The Handbook last year. 
I entered via email. I haven't been contacted and the Company concerned has not replied to my emails asking how winners are contacted an what happened to my prizes.
What is my best course of action please? They were all lovely prizes. I believe this to be a genuine Company, so why won't they respond?

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,684
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Where are they based?
    As a google does not bring up any competition sites?
    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Where are they based?
    As a google does not bring up any competition sites?
    Presumably https://www.thehandbook.com/win/ ?

If so:

9 GOVERNING LAW

These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and you hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.

10 COMPANY DETAILS

The Handbook UK Limited is Registered in England and Wales, Company Number 06320286
    Registered Office: The Handbook, Lu.405 The Light Bulb, 1 Filament Walk, London, SW18 4GQ

https://www.thehandbook.com/terms-conditions/
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,438
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    winsand23 said:
    My name appears on a winners list three times with The Handbook last year. 
    I entered via email. I haven't been contacted and the Company concerned has not replied to my emails asking how winners are contacted an what happened to my prizes.
    What is my best course of action please? They were all lovely prizes. I believe this to be a genuine Company, so why won't they respond?
    Is it just your name that appears in the winners list or a greater level of detail that means it must be you?
    I would expect any published winners list to be rather bereft of actual detail on the winners which makes identifying the actual individual who won difficult.  Even if for no other reason than GDPR.

How common is your name?
    How large is the area where you live?

If the list simply says "S Smith - London" that might match with you but it will also match with a whole host of other people.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As above ^

They run a lot of competitions. They all seem to have the same T&Cs which include:
    By entering the competition, entrants agree that their information may be used by the Promoter to administer the promotion and winners consent to give their first name for the winners’ list.

So I assume the winners' list would say something like Peter from Devon or Anne from Manchester?
  • winsand23
    winsand23 Posts: 11
    First Post
    Forumite
    I was contacted today by the person who runs the competitions at The Handbook.
    Apparently some one with my Christian and Surname with a yahoo account won two of the listed prizes (my email account is not yahoo).
    They do have fantastic prizes. Really difficult to check, but delighted that they have ,at least, responded. I have suggested they should perhaps also list a County, if allowed. Thank you all for your help and advice.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Alderbank said:
    So I assume the winners' list would say something like Peter from Devon or Anne from Manchester?
    Makes me think of classic Partridge:

Listeners, I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay.
    He's married so I shall only be using his Christian name.
    I'm talking to Domingo in Little Oakley.
    No? He's gone.
    Pity.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport