I think I've been discriminated against in supply of goods, not sure what to do.

Hi. In the past I've ordered two units and was able to arrange and take delivery. But, this third purchase the contract for supply has failed, because the seller has failed to play ball and come to an arrangement for delivery, which in the past has involved picking up the goods from the designated location. He's mentioned that he is busy. After a month, I've received a refund, but I really wanted the item for use in my business. I may get a friend to make an order and see what happens. I'm wondering if I'm being discrimated against because of my surname (a Polish surname), but I am born and bred in UK. I would be interested in hrearing what folks might do in this case. Should I see a solicitor, to prove a point? Thank you.

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,467
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi. In the past I've ordered two units and was able to arrange and take delivery. But, this third purchase the contract for supply has failed, because the seller has failed to play ball and come to an arrangement for delivery, which in the past has involved picking up the goods from the designated location. He's mentioned that he is busy. After a month, I've received a refund, but I really wanted the item for use in my business. I may get a friend to make an order and see what happens. I'm wondering if I'm being discrimated against because of my surname (a Polish surname), but I am born and bred in UK. I would be interested in hrearing what folks might do in this case. Should I see a solicitor, to prove a point? Thank you.
    Sounds like you're clutching at straws.
    Also, as a business purchase, consumer rights don't apply.

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,345
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How much money do you want to spend on a solicitor in relation to something which might just be your imagination?
  • user1977
    Forumite
    Also, as a business purchase, consumer rights don't apply.
    Though I don't think that matters if there is a discrimination claim under the Equality Act.
  • richard_3095
    richard_3095 Posts: 130
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've since been communicating with seller and he denies discrimination. And I'll take him at his word. But, seller did make delivery problemmatical. Looks like I re-order.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,817
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 11:57AM
    Even IF (big if) you are right I am not sure that is even unlawful!

Basically a company (or individual) can "discriminate" in any way they like except on a limited number of grounds that are prohibited by law. For example race, religion, gender etc, but even those have some exceptions. I am far from convinced that having a surname that "sounds Polish" meets those criteria. Another country is not the same thing a another race.

Many would feel that Poland is another European country with broadly similar values, culture and ethnic makeup to the UK. The UK and Poland have enjoyed a good relationship for many decades. I think you will struggle to prove unlawful discrimination!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,641
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you expecting him to go out of his way and spend time going to this' designated location' ?

• user1977
    Forumite

Basically a company (or individual) can "discriminate" in any way they like except on a limited number of grounds that are prohibited by law. For example race, religion, gender etc, but even those have some exceptions. I am far from convinced that having a surname that "sounds Polish" meets those criteria. Another country is not the same thing a another race.
    "Nationality" and "ethnic or national origins" are defined as forming part of "race" for these purposes though - you can hardly have a policy of e.g. rejecting CVs from candidates with "foreign-sounding" names and then claim innocently that you had no idea what races they might be...
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,098
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    user1977 said:

"Nationality" and "ethnic or national origins" are defined as forming part of "race" for these purposes though - you can hardly have a policy of e.g. rejecting CVs from candidates with "foreign-sounding" names and then claim innocently that you had no idea what races they might be...

But this is not about cvs and job applications.
  • user1977
    Forumite
    prowla said:
    user1977 said:

But this is not about cvs and job applications.
    No, but the same principles apply for discrimination in the supply of goods and services, it's how the Act defines "race" - I was just picking an analogous example which people might understand better (maybe not!).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback