IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Received a £195 CCJ on the £70 Debt agency's 'Admin Fee' from a 2021 McDonalds Parking Fine (MET)

Happy new week, everyone 

As the title suggests, I recently received a CCJ on a car park fine from 2021 after overstaying by a little bit at my local McD. I tried speaking with the management of that McDonald's (and MET parking over email) over a few weeks to help cancel the fine, but they refused to help despite showing my receipt, by which time the fine had been transferred to a debt collector who added a £70 admin fee. 

In the end, I decided to pay off the £100 fine and emailed MET Parking with the £100 receipt, asking for the £70 to be waived as it didn't seem fair that I went to buy a £5 meal and ended up with a £170 fine. I never got a response to my last email. 

I remember receiving a letter in December 2023 asking for the £70 after more than 2 years and I ignored it as I didn't recognise the letterhead (it wasn't MET parking or the debt collector)

Fast forward to Jan 2024, I have now received a notification that I have a £195 CCJ comprising interest on the £15 interest + £105 in court fees. 

I think this is very ridiculous and unfair. is there any way I can fight this? I paid the actual fine, but I'm being bullied to pay another £195 on the agency fees

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,142
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Can you please explain exactly what you refer to as a 'CCJ'.  Can we see a redacted (of all personal data) copy of it please?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,938
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you perhaps received a N1 claim form?  As you have received letters from the parking company and the debt collector, they likely have your address.  Is your address correct on your V5C as that is the only way for you to have missed a claim form and gone straight to judgment.
  • Le_Kirk said:
    Have you perhaps received a N1 claim form?  As you have received letters from the parking company and the debt collector, they likely have your address.  Is your address correct on your V5C as that is the only way for you to have missed a claim form and gone straight to judgment.
    A letter did come in December but, again, it didn’t look like a legal document. The letter is no where to be found and so I can’t confirm this. I however did  assume it was just a scare tactic. Is there a way to fight this back or shall I just pay up? It is ridiculous to pay almost £300 in fines which originated from overstaying a MacDonalds  
  • Umkomaas said:
    Can you please explain exactly what you refer to as a 'CCJ'.  Can we see a redacted (of all personal data) copy of it please?
    For some reason, I can’t upload the redacted document but a CCJ is a county court judgment which indicates that Met Parking took me to court 
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,938
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You could call the CNBC (ask Auntie Google for the phone number) and ask them to e-mail you a copy of the judgment and the original claim form as you received neither. You will also need a N244 form to apply for a set-aside assuming you are not credit cleansing (judges don't like that). If you actually ignored  a claim form you are going to have a hard time trying to win. Check out the NEWBIE sticky second post and read some of the set-aside threads. 
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,343
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 January at 4:37PM
    Sounds like you ignored a claim form in December.  If so, then it will be hard to get the CCJ set aside.

You should never have paid the £100. I'm afraid to a PPC this marks people out as a mug who is fair game to pursue further (their view, not mine).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback