Can't cancel car insurance because they gave me free home contents deal?

In August last year I took out insurance on a second car via Admiral. During the sign up procedure I was offered free household contents insurance. As I had just moved into a new home it seemed a good idea and I took it.
Now the car is no longer needed, it's on SORN, and today I tried to cancel the insurance. Everything seemed to be going well until the agent (on web-chat), asked me how far my house is from the nearest water course... can you guess what came next?
I can't cancel my car insurance because there is a "block" on it, relating to the household contents deal. The agent's explanation was:
"Let me explain you that!! While I was removing the vehicle it is showing a block that is for your House hold cover due to level of risk of flood you have on your policy. So I am taking support of my supervisor and trying to help you with concern."
This house is about 1.5 miles from the nearest man-made dike, and 2 miles from the nearest river. It has never been flooded.
I'm told that Admiral will be in touch via email in 24 to 48 hours. In the meantime, where do you think I stand?

I can understand them not wanting to continue giving me free contents insurance if I'm no longer paying the car insurance - but to say I can't cancel it???

TIA
Ian

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,633
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    what does it say in your policy document?
  • ChilliDevil
    ChilliDevil Posts: 10
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It doesn't mention any link to the motor insurance. It lists the premium payment as:
    Home Insurance Premium: £53.84
    Policy Upgrades Total: £0.00
    Insurance Premium Tax: £6.46
    Credit Charge: £5.33
    Total: £65.63

As you can see I was paying monthly - but the total with the "free" household contents came to a couple of pounds *less* than the car alone.

Is that what you wanted to know - if not please be more specific and I'll look again.
    Thank you.

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,311
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 3:24PM
    What are you expecting to achieve by cancelling? Cancelling the insurance isn’t necessarily going to get you a refund of the unused portion so can’t you just let it continue to run? 

Presuming it’s the car insurance you’re trying to cancel, although I may well have misunderstood your post.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,633
    Forumite
    What about the motor policy?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,793
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    What are you expecting to achieve by cancelling? Cancelling the insurance isn’t necessarily going to get you a refund of the unused portion so can’t you just let it continue to run? 
    Exactly this, looks like 5 months left on the policy - the cancellation fee will normally swallow up a good chunk of any potential refund. then you need to pay for your own home insurance. Even if the car is SORN then still maybe a good idea to keep it insured.
  • ChilliDevil
    Forumite
    @elsian
    It's on a monthly payment costing me £45 a month - so I know I won't get a refund, but why should I pay for 6 months car insurance I don't need?

• ChilliDevil
    Forumite
    @BoGoF
    The car will be gone in a week or so... I wasn't expecting them to take it off cover until the end of the month (i.e when the next installment is due).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,311
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    @elsian
    It's on a monthly payment costing me £45 a month - so I know I won't get a refund, but why should I pay for 6 months car insurance I don't need?

You may be paying it monthly but most car insurance works that you still owe the full annual premium if you cancel. They allow you to pay monthly because that is more affordable but the amount quoted for the year is still what you owe.
    You really need to check your terms and conditions before you do anything else. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    Forumite
    @elsian

I suspect you have an annual policy which you're paying off at £45 a month rather than 12x45 at once

this being so use some can't simply stop paying the 45 pounds as you owe the full 12 months which you can then cancel of course (normally) and get a pro rata refund but there will be charges for early termination.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,684
    Forumite
    Run a quote for home insurance & take that out once you have got rid of car. The you can tell Admiral. You are not bothered about the FREE home insurance, as you have a new policy elsewhere. So they can sink that in your supposed flooding risk 🤣
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure