Where can i buy cheap oil now?

seatbeltnoob
seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,294
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
Have 2 old cars that leak oil, need a litre every 3-4 months. Given the age and value of cars it doesnt make sense to spend good money on £50 on 5L of oil.

I was wondering what was the go to place to get engine oil at a cheap price. I remember 10 years ago ECP used to sell 5L of semi synthetic triple QX oil for £15-£17 per bottle.

These days are long gone now. Now Triple QX bottles cost only a little bit cheaper that castrol edge oil which is moree of a premium oil.

Amazon basics used to sell oil  before but now I can't find them. WHat's the reason for the pricre increases? is there an environmental cost or something attached to them, where the companies producing the oil have to pay towards environmental cleaning fee of waste oil?

Comments

• Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 328
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are they leaking oil, or burning it?
    There's often deals for oil posted on hukd, have a search on there.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 800
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
     I get mines from Tesco 5w 30, even better when they have offers on.
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,853
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    20 Litre packs of oil are available on eBay. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,254
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eBay, Mannol is quality oil and cheap.

Ive used them8 times now for oil and fuel cleaners etc.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,392
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My car uses a less common grade so its never found in supermarkets or discounters.  Amazon was cheapest for 5 litres at £26.  Local motor factor charges £52.99.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,197
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 January at 9:23AM
    As others have mentioned, I've used Amazon Basics stuff for my lawnmower, old jalopies and suchlike where I'm not too bothered about a fussy engine throwing a hissy fit if I don't treat it to the super-duper branded stuff.
    My local Asda always seems to have a decent amount of choice as well - odds on most larger supermarkets will as well ?
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,162
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I get motor oil from Asda. I haven;t done a price comparison.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,294
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 February at 3:22PM
    thanks for the suggestion.

I have decided that it's probably safer just to buy the good stuff on discount. I bought 4L castrol edge from amazon for £27 a while back so not too expensive. So I'll just bite the bullet and pay it. compared to cost of insurance, fuel etc oil isn't a big deal and I'd rather just spend more in that area.

Although I am keep to consolidate to one oil for both cars because having all these nearly empty 4L bottles knocking around is a bit annoying.

missues car has a timing chain so I think that needs to be on spec becaue it has a f****ng  chain sliding of a plastic chain rail!!!
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,088
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lidl do cooking oil at 85p a litre.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business