Do I have to pay taxes or not? This is so confusing.

ColonelCabbage
ColonelCabbage Posts: 49
First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 23 January at 2:19PM in Cutting tax
Here's the "At a glance" page on my HMRC account:

It explicitly says I have "nothing to pay" while simultaneously saying I must pay £163.80 by 31th January...

I'd rather avoid wasting 40 minutes on the phone to get clarification, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify that for me in this forum? For context, 2021-22 tax year was a lot better than the 2022-23 tax year I just submitted a tax return fox so I requested to have payment on account removed, and the request was accepted.

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 12,677
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Both statement are correct.

Today is 23 January 2024 and you have nothing to pay.  Today.

But you do have £163.80 becoming due for payment in 8 days time.
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 883
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    We've moved this to a more appropriate board
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email [email protected]
  • Both statement are correct.

Today is 23 January 2024 and you have nothing to pay.  Today.

But you do have £163.80 becoming due for payment in 8 days time.
    I'm sorry but your reply makes no sense whatsoever to me. When a sum of money is due, in like 99.9% of the cases it is due by a certain deadline not on the very same day the debt is stated or announced or communicated. I mean hello?
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,255
    Forumite
    edited 23 January at 2:50PM
    I must admit that what HMRC are telling you seems a bit odd. The request for payment that I had (in November 2023) simply says "You owe £146.20 You need to pay by 31 January 2024", and I paid it on 7 January. But I think this was in a slightly different place to yours and is not related to a tax return, Mine was in my messages, having recieved an email notifying me that it was there, and appears to be what would have been a P800 letter in the days when they still sent hard copies out, do you have such a message?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Here's the "At a glance" page on my HMRC account:

It explicitly says I have "nothing to pay" while simultaneously saying I must pay £163.80 by 31th January...

I'd rather avoid wasting 40 minutes on the phone to get clarification, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify that for me in this forum? For context, 2021-22 tax year was a lot better than the 2022-23 tax year I just submitted a tax return fox so I requested to have payment on account removed, and the request was accepted.
    When you click on the figure for the details page, does it clarify if or how your request to remove the payment on account is incorporated into the calculation?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,608
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How much tax is payable on your tax calculation on the your tax return?

It says " for details of the amount  and date of payment  please select the figure of tax becoming due."

Have you done that?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 12,677
    Forumite
    sheramber said:
    How much tax is payable on your tax calculation on the your tax return?

It says " for details of the amount  and date of payment  please select the figure of tax becoming due."

Have you done that?
    It is almost certainly Class 2 NI due for 2022-23.

To be honest I'm not really sure what the actual issue is 🤔
  • Turns out I did have to pay that amount and I paid it. But, I also apparently paid too much tax previously and HMRC owed me like £260 which I requested and they paid me. So in total I earned money. Not sure if this explains the kinda contradictory statements in the screenshot. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback