My biggest worry is that they'll stop section 117 aftercare?

williewonder
williewonder Posts: 344
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 23 January at 9:23AM in Benefits & tax credits
This would mean I have to pay over £400 a month towards my support as I live in supported living and have a 31 hour a week care package. Because I've been on a section 3 many times I don't have to contribute towards my care package. This leave me a healthy surplus a month in my benefits. I'm worried they'll stop section 117. Will this happen in the future?

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,418
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Section 117 has been ingrained into legislation for a long time and TBH probably doesn't include a huge number of people, those it does include are vulnerable and at risk. I honestly can't see them changing the legislation to get rid of it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,637
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Nobody has a crystal nall to know wht the Government will decide in the future.

Concentrate on enjoying what you have  at present.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,292
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 8:06PM
    There is no suggestion that the government will end 117 after-care. 
    It can be stopped for individuals in certain circumstances if the needs that triggered it on no longer there. Given that you are in supported living to maintain your mental health and to keep out of hospital that seems unlikely to apply to you.

There are a lot of people in supported living, who don’t benefit from 117 after-care and manage perfectly well, just with a few less holidays than you. 
    No point worrying about something that may never happen, but if it does, I’m sure you will cope with the help with your deputy.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure