Is PVC-U door sticking a common problems?

It has been repaired, but it still not perfect, in the winter is better than summer.

Comments

• Annemos
    Annemos Posts: 705
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes I have this. There is a lot of glass in my door. In the summer, the sun is right on it for about 6 hours. When we get up to about 26 degrees, the door frame expands and then I cannot use the lock. 

In the past, I had to.... either open the door inwards for 15 minutes, until it cools down. Or if an emergency-need to go out quickly, I had to pour cold water on it with a watering can. 

Like you, this was really annoying me. Had repeated adjustments. Always the same! 

So, I had a big think about this. And I am lucky that I have a side gate to get into the back garden. I had a new lock installed in that gate, so I can open it from inside or outside. So now, if there is hot weather coming, I just use my kitchen door at the back and the side gate. (Now I have no stress at all, as I just don't touch the Front Door, in those conditions, until the sun has moved off it.) 

Double-glazing chap once told me that darker colour plastic is even more prone to expansion than the white. 

PS The kitchen door at the back, that hardly gets any sun at all. I can feel the door lock sticking more, when cold and damp in the Winter, but touch wood, it does not jam. 
  • Cheslea2010
    Cheslea2010 Posts: 14
    First Post
    Forumite
    A common problem I'm afraid. If you have the door adjusted to meet summer expansion it won't fit when it contracts in the winter. Personally I prefer a tighter fit than a looser fit as I know the heat is being kept in.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,166
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Double-glazing chap once told me that darker colour plastic is even more prone to expansion than the white. 

It could be true, as dark colours of anything will tend to get hotter than white, which reflects part of the heat.

• norsefox
    norsefox Posts: 194
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Annemos said:
    Yes I have this. There is a lot of glass in my door. In the summer, the sun is right on it for about 6 hours. When we get up to about 26 degrees, the door frame expands and then I cannot use the lock. 

In the past, I had to.... either open the door inwards for 15 minutes, until it cools down. Or if an emergency-need to go out quickly, I had to pour cold water on it with a watering can. 

Like you, this was really annoying me. Had repeated adjustments. Always the same! 

So, I had a big think about this. And I am lucky that I have a side gate to get into the back garden. I had a new lock installed in that gate, so I can open it from inside or outside. So now, if there is hot weather coming, I just use my kitchen door at the back and the side gate. (Now I have no stress at all, as I just don't touch the Front Door, in those conditions, until the sun has moved off it.) 

PS The kitchen door at the back, that hardly gets any sun at all. I can feel the door lock sticking more, when cold and damp in the Winter, but touch wood, it does not jam. 
    We paid a contractor a call-out cost to make adjustments to our door.  He just tightened a bunch of screws that run down the inside of the door (above below the lock).  I fancy myself as being able to do most things DIY and that one really annoyed me.

If your door is sticking when the sun comes around, it just needs some minor manual adjustments.  Plenty of Youtube tutorials available to show the principles/process to follow.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,236
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 January at 8:10PM
    Yes, it's common.
    If you pop off/unscrew the blanking plugs/plates on the hinges, you should find adjustments for up/down and left/right.  By adjusting those, you should be able to move the door away from wherever it sticks.  A door that's dropped can be improved by pulling in the adjustment on the top hinge, and maybe winding out the bottom one.
    There may also be adjustments on the door frame striking plate, to move the parts that the multipoint locking engages on.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Annemos
    Annemos Posts: 705
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 January at 11:09AM
    Mine is the door to an outer porch and built on clay, too.   20 years old.

I have given up with the screws method, after several times of having people try it and then it always happening again.

It actually does not happen that often. Only if we are in a hot weather and sunny spell.

This year, I only had to avoid the door for about a week. I can tell as soon as I gently try the lock.... one of the lower hook things sticks in the frame and I know it is one of those days! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback