Bought a faulty car from a delarship

Hi,

I am seeking advice regarding a faulty car I purchased from a dealer six months ago. I bought a 2019 Seat (PCP) from the dealer, and shortly after collecting the car, I noticed dashboard warning lights for Turbo, EPC, and ABS. Attempts to contact the dealer about these faults were unsuccessful. After consulting a garage, I've been that these lights had appeared before my purchase but were reset on the day I collected the car.

I reached out to the finance company, and they contacted the dealer to address the sensor issues. However, I was informed that I cannot return the car as the seller has the right to repair it. My concern is whether I can prove that the seller intentionally reset these lights, and if so, whether there is a chance to return the car. Citizen Advice recommended giving the seller an opportunity to repair the dashboard sensors.

I find it unacceptable to purchase a faulty car and then give the seller the chance to repair it, especially as I don't feel safe driving the car. Do you have any suggestions or advice?

Many thanks

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,342
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 11:04AM
    More than 30 days and you have to let the seller repair a fault, and if the repair doesn't work then you have the right to a refund...

...but if you are suggesting they hid the fault at time of purchase then you TRY and argue the car was not as described (it had a pre-existing fault that they actively concealed), which influenced the decision you made to buy the car in the first place. 

I can't advise as to how strong that argument would be, but if you are determined to try then I think that's your best shot. 

If it does work, the seller may still be able to make a deduction from the refund for the time you used the car (based on milage or some other reasonable metric). 

I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,684
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi,

I am seeking advice regarding a faulty car I purchased from a dealer six months ago. I bought a 2019 Seat (PCP) from the dealer, and shortly after collecting the car, I noticed dashboard warning lights for Turbo, EPC, and ABS. Attempts to contact the dealer about these faults were unsuccessful. After consulting a garage, I've been that these lights had appeared before my purchase but were reset on the day I collected the car.

I reached out to the finance company, and they contacted the dealer to address the sensor issues. However, I was informed that I cannot return the car as the seller has the right to repair it. My concern is whether I can prove that the seller intentionally reset these lights, and if so, whether there is a chance to return the car. Citizen Advice recommended giving the seller an opportunity to repair the dashboard sensors.

I find it unacceptable to purchase a faulty car and then give the seller the chance to repair it, especially as I don't feel safe driving the car. Do you have any suggestions or advice?

Many thanks
    Any reason that you did not visit the dealer on the issue?
    Life in the slow lane
  • @born_again

I attempted to contact the dealer about these issues through phone calls and SMS, but received no response. Unfortunately, I was unable to speak to him in person due to the considerable distance between us. I collected the car from a garage located within 290 miles
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 614
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    @born_again

I collected the car from a garage located within 290 miles
    What sort of garage ? Main dealer as an approved used car with corresponding warranty ? Car Supermarket ? Or smaller independent dealer ?

Given your inability to contact them do they still exist ?

Your view of 'unacceptable' and 'not feeling safe' unfortunately have no legal standing so you have to follow the advice given and either return it to them for repair or get them to agree to fund a more local repair. Whichever way it is you're likely to have to put in the legwork to contact them and agree a way forward
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,316
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Did you buy from a Seat dealer ?  You would have received a 2 year warranty if bought on PCP

• @Wonka_2

It was a dealership offering an approved used car, and I had a warranty covering it for six months. However, due to these faults, the warranty does not cover the associated costs.

When I spoke to the car finance company that currently holds the financing, they only offered to have the car repaired, despite my assertion that the faults existed before the purchase. They dismissed my concerns, stating that these were merely assumptions, and I shouldn't expect perfection with a used car— a comment that left me completely shocked.

The Seat Garage confirmed these faults were reset on the day when the car was collected, yet they refuse to acknowledge my concerns, dismissing them as mere assumptions.
  • @photome

The dealer, Auto Sales North East Ltd (I disclose the name for the benefit of others to exercise caution in their purchases), provides approved used cars with only a 6-month warranty.
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 448
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

It was a dealership offering an approved used car
    Perhaps you misunderstand what an approved used car is?

Approved used cars are sold by main dealers and need to meet certain standards as set out by the manufacturer.

Since you did not purchase your vehicle from a Seat dealer, just an independent business, it will almost certainly NOT be an approved used car.

Autotrader have a detailed write up on approved used vehicles on their website, should you want to find out more.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,005
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi,

Many thanks
    Did you attempt to contact the dealer within 30 days of purchase in writing to let them know about the fault and reject it? 

What are the actual faults with the car? Did the Seat garage you took it to make a report listing the faults?

Why has this now got 6 months down the line? Have you been driving this car or is it SORN?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,342
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
     The Seat Garage confirmed these faults were reset on the day when the car was collected, yet they refuse to acknowledge my concerns, dismissing them as mere assumptions.
    I'm not clear how they can confirm they reset the fault warning on the date of purchase but that they also say it's an assumption that the fault was present on the date of purchase - have you asked why if there was no issue they reset the warning lights?
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback