HMRC - Anyone else got a letter for them to read and waited nearly a year?

jmkgreen
jmkgreen Posts: 21
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all,

This relates to a letter I sent to HMRC last February on the subject of TCGA92/S279A. Previous thread here.

I've called - again - HMRC to ask if there's any prospect of someone actually reading my letter and getting back to me. I'm now told that due to high workload they are no longer telling people when they will likely get a call back. For reference, last time I checked, I was again given apologies and told to expect a phone call over Christmas.

I'm told - by the person at self-assessment that I was passed to today - that they literally have no visibility on the queue the team dealing with these particular letters have. They have no idea whether it will be days, weeks or more before they get to mine. Am I alone here or what?

It will very soon be an entire year of waiting.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,577
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Contact your MP.  You are not alone in your frustration with HMRC's failures in dealing with outstanding matters.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,657
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The reason they do not know the time scale is because the correspondence is logged into the computer.

The computer delivers the correspondence to be dealt to the officer.

Nobody knows where in the queue on the computer that a specific bit of correspondence is or when the computer will spew it out to be dealt with.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,784
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you go to your HMRC account there is an option to 'Check Progress' that may give some indication although the only use that I have found is that it does confirm that your letter has been received & logged on the system.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback